fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

the lakers are still on fire on shore in a few spots from getting my reports go get them.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by troutcrazy »

Thanks Fishy1!
I've hardly been fishing at all. Work and house repair and weather. With any luck I'll get out for a few hours this afternoon.

I did catch a big laker near Burlington recently. I put a light single hook with a squashed barb on a Kroc and I'm pleased with the results. It makes for an easy release-- despite cold hands and icy rocks!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Thanks Fishy1!
I've hardly been fishing at all. Work and house repair and weather. With any luck I'll get out for a few hours this afternoon.

I did catch a big laker near Burlington recently. I put a light single hook with a squashed barb on a Kroc and I'm pleased with the results. It makes for an easy release-- despite cold hands and icy rocks!
thanks for the report
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Fished for a couple hours near Burlington yesterday. They were busting water within casting range. I had one big follow but he saw me and spooked. They weren't interested in my rainbow Kroc, and I'd left my other lures in the car.

I got out for a couple hours today, too, south from Burlington. The smallmouth were all over the rainbow Kroc! Caught 5 solid bass and lost one solid fish. No lakers. I tried a couple other lures but I didn't try very hard.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (171.41 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
I did some driving today, and scouted some spots. Honestly I didn't expect to catch anything.

There was open water under the Bridge extending about 1/4 mile north. It was densley covered with birds. A couple patches of open water here and there around Port Henry.

I poked around streams and warm spots.

Eventually I found some fish! Shallow water, probably 10', casting from shore!

I lost 3 fish and landed one! I think one of the lost fish was a laker, but the other two were salmon. The one I landed is around 20". Notice the Fishy1 color casting Honeybee that looks very small.

Ice was breaking up and moving all around in the wind. I'm hopeful that it's gonna go quick! I'm in full social-distancing mode. My work is mostly cancelled. I'm stocked up on spoons and crankbaits.

Hey, LCU, I'm very thankful for this community. Special thanks to Fishy1, whose generous advice continues to elevate my angling to higher levels.
Last edited by troutcrazy on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Fishy1 is the shoreline guru. He’ll never steer you wrong. Stay strong, Matt.....John
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Shhhh... the cold water fish are chasing bait in the shallows find warm pockets with gravel bottoms and the action can be amazing....

.troutcrazy...

Great looking fish!!!
Matt B