Rare hybrid fish caught on Lake Champlain

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Eric L
Species: Whatever bites

Rare hybrid fish caught on Lake Champlain

Post by Eric L »

Saw this article on WFN. Two pike/pickerel hybrids were caught while filming a show on Lake Champlain. Pretty cool stuff and a beautiful fish. Link will take you to the WFN website for article and pictures.

"It was supposed to be a show about chain pickerel on Lake Champlain, highlighting the different techniques and hottest lures for this often neglected sportfish. But it turned into something more when two hybrids were caught during filming."

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/news ... 35475.aspx
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Rare hybrid fish caught on Lake Champlain

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Eric for sharing the info.
I'll be watching the show on Sunday evening.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Great read.... Very interesting stuff
Todd
Todd
karl

Post by karl »

Can the hybrids breed or are they sterile, which hybrids often are?

anyone know?
Eric L
Species: Whatever bites

Post by Eric L »

I know Tiger muskies (muskie/pike hybrid) are sterile. In all likelihood these are as well, which, as you noted, is usually the case for hybrids. Though I'm sure that doesn't stop them from trying....
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

But people have been catching hybrids like at Keeler Bay-Sandbar area for years?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

Post by NHfishin4fun »

I've actually picked up a number of them in the Keeler Bay area. The first few we caught, we had thought they might be tiger muskies but the markings are reversed. F&G biologist Shawn Good informed me that they were Pike/Pickeral hybrids. We've probably picked up a dozen or so in the past couple of years. They are aggressive sporty fish though. Thanks for the link!

Dave B.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Like 2 years ago some guy brought in like a 8lber from Keeler Bay they got ice fishing. I thinks it state record right now.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

Post by vtbass »

WFN and the show Outdoor Passion really played this up to be alot more than it really it. As WFW said, these hybrids aren't rare. People have been catching them for a long time, and even more frequently lately. And, not just in Champlain - they're being caught in Magog, and other waters where chain pickerel and northern pike both occur.