Downrigger Rod?????

Share info on fishing Champlain.
charlietuna
Species: What ever will bite

Downrigger Rod?????

Post by charlietuna »

I am wondering what a good light downrigger rod would be a good choice? I have 2 Dawia lc 17 line counters with two Agility downrigger rods given to me . I like the action on those rods. But it appears they do not sell them any longer?
I am looking for something with that type of action. The rods I was using, are Shakespeare big water. They are ok for slide divers and lead core.
But I am looking for help with a lighter rigger rod. I did try a Shimanno trd ml rod, and it is way to stiff. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

CT
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Downrigger Rod?????

Post by fishingmachine »

Vermont Feild Sports in Middlebury always has a nice selection of rigger rods,some really nice light action ones too
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

The old Fishin hole in Morrisville also has a good selection of light rods... Word is he even has a few heartland Kokanee rods left. I use them on riggers and they are very light action.

Good luck
Matt B
yankee roller
Species: 'locks

Post by yankee roller »

Okuma Blue Diamond 7'6" or Okuma Convector 7'6" are a good rod for 8-12 lb light action downrigger trolling. They can support small diving discs or 10' jet divers. Beyond that, you would need to move up to 8' or 8'6" and above depending on situation.

Flat line, planer board, spoon/plug trolling with light action applications... they are a good option. About $50 ea. unless you find on deal.
SEMPER_FIshing
Species: Trouts

Post by SEMPER_FIshing »

Ugly stick light I have 7' and 8'3" they are awesome. Fish307 rods are the best light action rods that I have used but at 100$ they are too much for me.
SUNFISH
Species: perch

Post by SUNFISH »

Reelax wrote:The old Fishin hole in Morrisville also has a good selection of light rods... Word is he even has a few heartland Kokanee rods left. I use them on riggers and they are very light action.

Good luck
I have two Kokanee rigger rods. I think they are fun, but my son and friends think they are so flexible that you can't get a salmon to the net??
I like the light action Ugly Sticks.
Dick
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

SUNFISH wrote:
Reelax wrote:The old Fishin hole in Morrisville also has a good selection of light rods... Word is he even has a few heartland Kokanee rods left. I use them on riggers and they are very light action.

Good luck
I have two Kokanee rigger rods. I think they are fun, but my son and friends think they are so flexible that you can't get a salmon to the net??
Dick
Can't find those Ugly sticks anymore
charlietuna
Species: What ever will bite

Post by charlietuna »

Thank you for all of the advice. Seems tough to find the right rod? I looked at the kokanees and they are pretty much not even a fishing rod, I thought! Maybe that is why they are discontinued?
I also tried the Shimanno, ML action, way to stiff.
I will check out the fish307 and keep looking.

CT
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I like those yellow light action eagle claw rods. Problem is they break easily and are getting hard to find.
SUNFISH
Species: perch

Post by SUNFISH »

Amazon has 8ft. medium-light Ugly Stick for $59. They call them Tiger Rods.
early bird
Species: cold water

Post by early bird »

The Fish307 custom rigger rod is a lot of fun! 'Great off boards too. Too light to run in-line boards or divers off of. I've had mine for a long time now and would definately replace them with same when the time comes.
sanileg
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by sanileg »

Okuma STT Kokanee 7'6 light action are a tons of fun, I'm trying the Cabela's Depthmaster Kokanee Light action as a cheaper alternative this year.
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:
SUNFISH wrote:

Good luck
Dick
I believe you are correct that the 8'3" light Ugly Stick has been discontinued but I have been able to get them so far this year I have some in stock and more on the way. I do not see a new model on their website to replace it hope I am wrong. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

JabberJaws wrote:
Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:
SUNFISH wrote:
Dick
I believe you are correct that the 8'3" light Ugly Stick has been discontinued but I have been able to get them so far this year I have some in stock and more on the way. I do not see a new model on their website to replace it hope I am wrong. Ramel

Ramel showed me one of these 8'3" UGLYSTICKS last week in the shop. They seem somewhat light action but still have enough strength to take on a 12lb laker if needed, even if Homewrecker is winching it in... I think a couple of these ugly sticks are a good addition to the salmon trolling lineup. They could even work well on planer board setups.
Matt B
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

I just purchased 2 of the ugly sticks from 307 a couple of weeks ago and saw them at dicks Friday for 54 and change I have 7 of them and love them for Champlain and lake O Browns
So many Lures So little Time