salmon

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tomdonna
Species: all

salmon

Post by tomdonna »

How deep should I be trolling for salmon?Is flatlining with a fly and flyrod a good option?I've been using Honeybees with no luck. No problem with lakers but cant find the salmon. Fishing near Isle la Motte Thanks for the help. Tom
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: salmon

Post by Reelax »

Right now I think the salmon are mostly 10-20 feet down... Flys will work almost as well as honey bees, sometimes better... I like to put a dodger about 18" up the leader from the fly (or spoon on leadcore) to increase the action to entise a strike. You may also want to add a sinker to your flyline to get some depth down to 20.

Some days are better than others, recently I had a 20+ salmon day followed with a 2 salmon day.... Don't get discouraged.... Keep trying...

Look for as warm of water as you can that is holding bait.. Then troll between 2.1 and 2.6 MPH thru the area.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Matt B
tomdonna
Species: all

Post by tomdonna »

Thanks for the good info.I will try to put it to good use. I marked a lot of fish near Treadwell at 10-30 ft......hoping they are salmon!
Fishbone
Species: Salmon,trout

Post by Fishbone »

Thank you Matt for the advice.

But wich part of the lake would you recommand this time of the year for salmon. Inland sea, Winnoski or elsewhere ???

Dan :)
Butcher
Species: cold water

Post by Butcher »

Dan and Tom,

Matt is right you have to find that warm water. It may only be a small section, maybe where a stream or inlet comes in the lake, maybe even one you don't know is there...Like a underwater spring.

That warm water may only be 100yrds long, but it will normally hold bait. Beat the heck out of that area. If you mark bait on your finder try to stay above it, salmon will come a long way up but will rarely go down.

We caught every one of our salmon on the surface last week. Maybe a few with a small split shot. If we were any deeper we had the same issue you are having..lakers...not like that is an awful problem to have!
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

right on with the advice, they have all been at the top.

I hit a black bug hatch and they started firing this week...all 8-10 feet. Crazy Ivan's sausage gravy milkshake and fat ivan worked well for me as well as the purple alewife. I had a grey ghost fly all rigged but didn't get a chance to run it in the prop wash. Planers and downriggers were tied. I ran a split shot off the planers.

Good luck!

Matt
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

yup, if you find bait...fish the top 10 feet! Those bee's WILL work!
The last time I was out, I found preferred temp (on the surface) everywhere I went. 53-58°
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry