Walleye Report 5/5-5/6

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Walleye Report 5/5-5/6

Post by vtfishin »

Tough time of year, Turkeys gobblin, salmon biting and Walleye opener! I gotta get some more vacation time!

My brother, father and I have an annual tradition of getting together for walleye opener. As my Dad gets older, it is all the more important that we stick to it.

I have never joined the fray on the rivers for opener, usually hide on a lake and then hit it as the week rolls in. The opening day jitters really hits me and I really get excited to get after em. This year we hit the Missisquoi Saturday and Sunday. I had everything loaded and ready the night before but had decided to keep the troller batteries on the charger a little longer and throw them in before leaving. As luck would have it, I pulled the connector off one of the leads as I was hooking it up. I bumbeled around in my garage looking for my tools and parts and had the lead fixed but it cost us about 30 minutes...I guess I should have been organizing the garage on those nice days I went fishing?

I picked up a buddy in Swanton and we hit the launch at just after 5:00. We hit a full lot and the area in front of the damn looked like a NASCAR race. Two boats ahead of us in line to launch and no where for me to go. So I pulled as far out of the way as I could and started rigging and getting Dad into the boat. I pushed my rig over as far as I could and two trucks were able to get by me so I figured I was good. Another guy seemed to disagree and I guess he must have been trying to make up for some time away from church because I with all of the "God something or others" being shouted he was making up for lost time. I guess they were directed at me though and I guess he figured I needed some religion. Well, I always welcome the fishing help from anywhere. My brother explained we were doing our best in a crowded area and I wished the gentlemen "Good Morning" as we launched. His praying seemed to help as the sea of cars parted and we were able to find a parking spot.

Busy river but fun day and everyone was glad to be out. Good sportsmanship for sure. We picked out a spot down river between some groups so as to leave the more organized folks alone. It paid dividends as Dad got a hit right off and what a beauty it was, maybe we should thank the blessings from the guy in the lot. 26" and fat! I hit another about 15 minutes later and we were psyched. We worked that spot a bit but didn't produce. We tried a bunch of spots and caught up with some good friends. The bite died off a about 6:30. We fished into the afternoon, some more small ones and pike and perch as well. Guys that were there early limited and did very well.

I cannot tell you how much fun it is fishing with Dad and Mike. Really great day.

I was boarded by the Game Warden at the ramp and passed, legal fish, legal boat. While he was checking others I saw some 30+". Good fishing.

Sunday am we met my buddy at the ramp again and we were out of the gates early, ahead of the big push at the ramp. We were joking about keeping Dad awake and Boom! He gets another hit right off and lands the biggest fish of the day again! Good stuff! The river was busy again and, like Saturday, brisk temps in the am. Fishing Sunday was slow all around but we managed to boat a few. Our friends were doing a little better but the word was slow.

Dad is pretty exhausted today so we are taking it easy (might be a mistake for the fishing but good for his health!). Given the weather report, we'll hit it this afternoon/evening for some lake action and then see it how it goes. So far my arm may not be tired from reeling but my face hurts from smiling and laughing.

Good luck out there!
JK47
Species: All Species

Re: Walleye Report 5/5-5/6

Post by JK47 »

Thanks for the report. It nice to see a walleye report.

NASCAR is right. When I drove by the lamoille yesterday, I could see 11 boats from the bridge.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

A "hurting face from smiling" is what it's all about.
You guys are having a blast...Keep after em!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I saw at least 15-18 boats on the river near the damn at Swanton on Saturday around 6:30 am on my way to Converse. It was chilly and windy. Glad to hear you had some good bites.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Great report Matt. Nothing like spending time with your dad and catching some fish. I have never fished the river for EYES and it sounds a little crazy. Must be nice to NOT have Joel in the boat hogging all the big fish! LOL
Todd
Todd
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

WOW.... I love fishing for Eye's, but I don't know how you handle the crowds :shock: Sounds like you made the best of it and that's what matters. Fsishing is the best family time I know of!!! :D
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

Todd,

Lucky Day for sure.... also helps that I can't drive a boat.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report and results Matt.. Thanks for the report!
Matt B
Surf-n-Turf (Sean)
Species: All

Post by Surf-n-Turf (Sean) »

Nice post,
I remember those opening day mornings at Red Gate on Otter Creek as a kid with my Dad, to include putting in in a flooded launch, parking about 1/2 mile away and seemingly able to walk across the river on boats.
Too bad the Walleye fishery on the Otter are of days gone by. Just have to keep fishing the Salmon I guess...

Sully
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Crazy Ivan wrote:Great report Matt. Nothing like spending time with your dad and catching some fish. I have never fished the river for EYES and it sounds a little crazy. Must be nice to NOT have Joel in the boat hogging all the big fish! LOL
Todd
Yeah, did you see him push me out of the way? :lol:

Good time for sure!