DYP watch out... Preview from Popster and Sugarpie

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Sugarpie
Species: All the ones that are hungry!

DYP watch out... Preview from Popster and Sugarpie

Post by Sugarpie »

It was great to get out and "practice" with Bill today. We headed out of Shelburne at 6:15 (maybe a little earlier, just sayin') and trolled north. For a "rainy" day the early part of it was beautiful. After getting the grand tour and the lay of the land (or in this case boat) we were ready to fish. Within 15-20 minutes of getting the lures wet we had a hit! After a bit of a tug-o-war we pulled in a nice brownie (my first brown on LC)! Boy was it a fatty!
Not bad for less then a half hour of actual fishing! A chartreuse speedy shiner was what was on the menu for this big bad brown!
We thought we would try our luck and run back through "the spot" no more takers so we headed north up the bay to check things out a bit. The wind shifted pretty quickly this morning as we were crossing the bay to head towards Red Rock. We had a hit on a medium Honeybee with the same paint/tape as "Effie's Dream" but nothing when we reeled in... Bummer, but not long after as we were heading past Red Rock (and out into the WIND) we had not one, but two hits within seconds! We had a little bit of a "snafu" with one of the rods so that one had to be put on "hold" momentarily while Bill netted a nice healthy looking salmon! Now back to the other rod, with a little bit of an issue, that had been sitting in the rod holder (for what seemed like forever) we both thought for sure that fish was LONG GONE by now... But NOPE! Still there... Bill brings in a second nice salmon! The live well was looking nice
One salmon came in on the same chartreuse speedy as the brown and the second was on an orange and gold honeybee.
We did a little change up on the two rods that hadn't fired and put on a lure that I had taped myself (craft night with the kids!)
Well don't ya know it! Wham a hit on that rod. We new right away it was a laker. Took a bit to get it up to the boat (felt like reeling in a log!) then he gave a little fight at the end, right before Bill scooped him up in the net (Bill I'm bringing our net next weekend! Yours isn't going to be nearly big enough for what we're going to catch next weekend!) Maybe a 23-24" laker. We picked this guy up almost in the same exact spot as where we started with our first brown. So now all four fish are lined up in the live well are looking at us like, "what the heck?"
Mean while, Bill and I are looking at them hoping we could add a nice steely to complete a grand slam, but no such luck... Next time! We decided to call it a day since it was getting damn chilly and the rain was coming! It started to sprinkle just as we got to the launch, talk about perfect timing!
It was also interesting to find that there was virtually nothing in any of these fish's stomachs. They're hungry! Let's feed 'em, or at least fool them into thinking they are the ones getting dinner... hehehehe
I had a really great day fishing aboard Popster's fine vessel and I'm very much looking forward to next weekend when we catch the monster that will earn us bragging rights until next year! Thanks again Bill! I can't wait until next weekend :)
To fish or not to fish... NOT TO FISH??? Like that's even a question!!!!
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Re: DYP watch out... Preview from Popster and Sugarpie

Post by Ludo »

I think everyone has their Top-10 things to do before you die with one item on the list: to fish with Popster just to see our fishes in his livewell :lol:
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Looks like you two had a great pre-fish for next weekend! Thanks for the great picture display and see you next weekend.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Fun times with Effie in Shelburne. We're on the same page and DYP should be a slam dunk.
Just don't forget to bring those real pretty Honeybees next week
Bill
"POINTER"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Very cool. Too bad a steel-head wouldn't cooperate to give you two the slam...so close!
Love that orange/god honeybee, it's always been a fish taker for me.

Gold, gold, gold. I'm hearing gold is working from North on the Inland Sea to South of Converse.

Thanks for the great report Effie. See ya at the DYP!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Well documented report Effie! Good luck next weekend!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report and story.... Thanks for sharing. Good luck on 2nd place:)
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Nice stuff - that fish TV is looking good too. Hopefully "my" team gets a/some good fish next Sat. but the odds-makers probably have you a lot higher on the list!
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Thumbs up. Popster knows how to fill that tank with salmon. Thanks for the report.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Nice yacking it up on the phone....... I was wondering if yuou could get some of the lures that i left in Bills boat and return them to me!!! LOL
See you Saturday
T
Todd
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Nice :D That live well is just off the hook!!!! :shock:
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Sugarpie

Post by Sugarpie »

Crazy Ivan wrote:Nice yacking it up on the phone....... I was wondering if yuou could get some of the lures that i left in Bills boat and return them to me!!! LOL
See you Saturday
T
Yes it was fun chatting it up on Saturday. So the lures on Bill's boat that you speak of... I think I'll let you two fight that one out, but occasionally I have had a hitch hiker or two when I get off the boat. Never fails, we'll be on our way home from the lake, stop at a gas station and the person in line behind me will tap me on the shoulder and say, "did you know you have a fishing lure hanging off the back of your sweatshirt?" :lol: So watch my back!

I am SO looking forward to the DYP! Four days and counting!
Sugarpie

Post by Sugarpie »

Popster wrote:Fun times with Effie in Shelburne. We're on the same page and DYP should be a slam dunk.
Just don't forget to bring those real pretty Honeybees next week
I won't forget those "special lures"! I'm also going to raid the tracker later today or tomorrow when I scrub it down from the weekend. And I've got that net ready to go already! :lol: We're going to need it! I smell a 10lb salmon in our future! Oh and had that brown and one of the salmon we caught on Sunday for dinner last night. Delicious! Mmmmm

We are possibly going to look at a both north of Burlington on Friday afternoon, I'll be in touch soon to formulate the plan, but I think the boys are going to go stay in Addison for some youth turkey hunting, then come up to point bay in the afternoon to meet everyone!

I will call you tomorrow or Thursday, so if you can think of ANYTHING you'd like me to bring alone let me know. See you again soon! :D
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Effie/Popster:

Thanks for all the detail!! Effie you're getting real good at taping those spoons. It's good to see that sharing and creativity is not lost.

This one is especially good! It's simple, has bling, UV Chart Tape, and a glow eye. Great recipe. Should be tried on other favorite spoons.

Popster your fish "box" is awesome.

Hey everybody follow the lead of Popster and Effie and give us a look!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Post by Sea Hare »

What a great post. Awesome pics too ! Man, that is the coolest livewell I've ever seen. Kind of a " Fish TV " I wish that my boat was big enough to install one of those. That would entertain the grandkids for hours on end.

;) BB
It's not just a unit of measure !