Research Project: Sea lamprey control in Lake Champlain

Share info on fishing Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Research Project: Sea lamprey control in Lake Champlain

Post by raz »

Guys and Gals,

LCU has been approached by a senior attending St. Lawrence University that is doing a final research project on sea lamprey control in Lake Champlain. A big part of the project focuses on the “stakeholders” position on sea lamprey control. The information gathered from the stakeholders is very important and invaluable to the student.

I immediately thought of us, the fishermen and fisher-women, of Lake Champlain as stakeholders in this important issue.
To help with the research project “our” St. Lawrence University senior has just four questions that should be answered with your own personal opinions.

(1) Do you think sea lamprey are a problem, if so, why?
(2) Do you think sea lamprey should be controlled? How?
(3) Do you think current techniques are best suited and are working to control sea lamprey or should an alternative approach be used? What alternative method do you think we should try?
(4) Are you personally impacted by sea lamprey in Lake Champlain? If so, how?

Lets see if we can show some support by answering these questions!

Thanks!

Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Re: Research Project: Sea lamprey control in Lake Champlain

Post by riverrunner »

Are we suppose to email these answers with contact information to someone? Or just answer them right here? Those nasty little things get an Head clip everytime I'm in a boat and they come aboard!
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Save our fish! Help us!
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

riverrunner wrote:Are we suppose to email these answers with contact information to someone? Or just answer them right here? Those nasty little things get an Head clip everytime I'm in a boat and they come aboard!
Answering here is fine. I didn't ask permission to post an email address.
Thanks for asking.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

(3) Do you think current techniques are best suited and are working to control sea lamprey or should an alternative approach be used? What alternative method do you think we should try?

1- Yes they are a problem. Killing cold water fish and stunting growth.
2- Yes, controled by chemicals in the rivers as they are doing now.
3- Need to keep up river tratments and not miss a season. Also could try other methods like traps.
4- Yes, the fish I catch are smaller due to lampreys. Some are not making it when they have multiple lampreys on them.

Hope this helps.
Matt B
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

#1... Yes I feel lampreys are a major problem!!!! Many studies and personal observations have convinced me that have greatly impacted our fisheries!!!!#2...Yes they need to be controlled!!! The latest methods that have been used seemed to working well!!!#3...Yes I am no expert but it seems that the latest methods are working well!! I believe all fisherman are affected by lampreys in a very negative way!!!!! Raz I hope in some small way this helps!!!! Sleeps
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Sea lampreys have proven to be a big problem on LC,why do you think we have no 20+ lb lake trout caught or many large salmon caught
Sea lamprey need to be controlled by any way possible.I would like to see them eradicated completely
the lamprecide seems to work the best but I think any thing that reduces the population should be used,I think we could do a better job than we are doing at present
All fishermen are impacted by lampreys and so are some endangered species like sturgeon
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

They are an obvious detriment to our fishery. Increased fish mortality, reduced size. It also sheds a negative light on Lake Champlain.

The current process here in NY and VT has proven to be successful, both here and on the great lakes. Researching alternative methods should continue as there is always room for improvement, and there are some areas that will not use these same lamprey treatments, so other alternatives must also be found (trapping, etc.)

See above. The current techniques are what is the most effective, so until other successful alternatives are found, the current technique should continue to be utilized.

As a fisherman on Lake Champlain, yes I am. Non-fisherman ask me about lamprey and the lamprey control. And of course the fishing experience is directly affected by lamprey wounding rates.
________
Mike
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Yes, lamprey are a huge problem to Lake Champlain and it's feeders. During the years that treatment didn't happen, the cold water species program regressed. The fish were decimated by a lamprey population explosion and it'll take a long time to recover.
Treatments MUST continue or several fish species will be decimated. This would devastate the fishery and would hurt the economies surrounding the lake.
Current techniques are working and need to be continued. Maybe small stream applications would help, also. I've seen the trapping and sterilization and release. I'd prefer to see trapping and off to a fertilizer plant.
I love to fish and I live near Lake Champlain. So, it affects me greatly when I see the damage the lamprey cause. I was shocked the first time I pulled in a 3 lb. Smallie with a foot long lamprey attached. That means that they have adapted and attack all fish species.
We can only hope that resonable minds will prevail and the treatments continue.
oldcatamount
Species: Lake trout

Post by oldcatamount »

Yes, they are a problem. Eventually they could ruin the sport fishing in Lake Champlain.
Yes, the control methods currently used are having a significant impact on the Lamprey population and I believe, they should be continued.
I believe the techniques currently used should be expanded and maintained.
Yes, I operate a small fishing charter and I hear concerns from clients about Lamprey and the trout population.
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Thank you to all who participated.
Gerry