Springtime on some VT Ledges

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Thorny

Springtime on some VT Ledges

Post by Thorny »

Hi Guys
I hit the water on Wed Mornning with my buddy Don,Homewrecker and a firsttimer on the Cathy-Jean Fishdawg. We started the day with what I will refer to as big screw up. I forgot the boat key!!!!! Luckily I had the key for the Kicker. That being said we were limited to location. My Yamaha 9.9 pushes the boat at 5 plus mph into the wind with a full load. Man do I love that little motor!
We set up a full spread of Surface,Leadcore,Mini divers,Mini Slidedivers(a new favorite for me) and a couple of riggers. Last fall I started using the mini Slidediver. A new weapon I really like. This unit is much smaller and lighter than the litebite. A great tool to help plane out a line in the top 20. Although it does not have a litebite arm, I do not think it needs one with braid. Mono might be a little trickier. I reccommend breaid for all diver set ups on Champlain. We had a lot of hookups throughout the morning. We started out 0 for 3. That seemed to set the tone for the day. We had the dropsies all day! I think we lost at least as many fish as we caught and we caught plenty. Laker,Salmon,Laker,Salmon,Laker,Salmon semed to be our routine today. We fished a ledgline on the Mainlake that dropped from 5 to 30 to 100. This is a tricky task even with bottom contours and a good driver,especially when the west wind starts gusting hard. Hot colors were Black and White,Red and White and Silver with Chart or Green. 2 MPH seemed to be key!
We only saw one other boat out there. Some funky looking center console with a weird looking clear plastic canvas around it. Definately a one of a kind!!!!!
An awesome day on the water with good friends. Get out and enjoy the lake! The fishing is Awesome!
Thorny
Here is a pic of a couple of Wednesday's Salmon
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
digitroll (ron)

Re: Springtime on some VT Ledges

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Two very nice salmon Rob.

I had to work my regular wednesday off this week and next wednesday we have a tile install I have to be home for. The Bar is getting closer!
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Awesome.... Nice job! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Funny Popster and I were also out on Wednesday....... The only other boat we saw a sexy little rig filled with circus clowns!!!!! We also had an outstanding morning on the water and the dropsy's were in the air, on our last pass of this 1/8 mile treasure cove Bill and I went 3 for 7 ending our morning with a triple. Sausage Gravy Milkshake and chartreuse and silver speedy shiners were the hot lures again today this is my third trip out this week and I have had the same lures on since Sunday.
The funniest part of the morning was knowing you were coming to where we were........at a very slow speed and us trying to put as many salmon in the boat before you got to us.
Todd
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Rob you look like one very happy guy!!! Very nice fish!!! Looks like you need another tackle box yours is full!!! Sleeps
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Nice fish Thorny. Great report. The C-J has quickly become fishy!
Still, after this thread I'm left trying to shake the image of Popster and CI sharing a plastic tent while being chased by a slow moving clown car from my mind! Well done guys!
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Hey guys,

Nice fish. It looks like you had a great day.

Don
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Chunkers....nice!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very nice report and results.... Great read, gonna have to get a couple of those mini slide divers, they sound like great weapons for the spring... Have you made a trip to the swamp yet?

Hope to get out this weekend...

Fishon!
Matt B
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Way to go! I heard NY may put docks in this week, I sure hope so!
See you on the pond!
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

looks like a good day on the water Rob, congrats to you and your crew.
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

OUTSTANDING!!! I need to get fishing real SOON!!! 8-) BOATS ALMOST READY!!!! :D
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

Very nice Rob! All you guys great reports are killin me! Hope to get out this weekend, if I dont screw anything else up!
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Rob,
Thanks for a great day on the water! The no key situation was dealt with easily and luck was with us not only in the fishing, but in the weather as well. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge and insight of the area we fished as it was all new to me. I also appreciate your sharing your knowledge on gear and gadgets for fishing. I certainly will be adding the mini divers to my arsenal as well as a leadcore set up. Your boat is a fine fishing rig and you are a great host! The nice fish were an added bonus for me, especially when they are all cleaned and fileted before we hit shore.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great looking salmon Rob.
I forgot my key ONCE. It has never left the ignition since...even all winter long.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry