Laker Takers Vol. II 3/31/12

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
VTgooseman
Species: Fish with Teeth!

Laker Takers Vol. II 3/31/12

Post by VTgooseman »

Launched out of the Coast Guard station Saturday, motored north toward the river. As we passed through the opening in the breakwater the lake was just like glass as far as you could see. I was a little worried when we rounded Appletree point and saw the water had cooled down a lot from last weekend, and the bait was basically non existent. We scouted North along the flats zig zaging hunting for bait, and warmer water temps. Finally found some warmer temps straight out off the mouth but the bait was scarce compared to the previous trip. Set up an 8 rod spread with two riggers and 6 inline Offshore boards. We continued North searching and working 5-15 FOW without any takers after a few hours I knew I had to head South and try something else. We cut back and worked the mud line toward Appletree point. We made it just South of the mouth and I cut in from 12 FOW toward the first bay. I started marking some bait and it wasn't long, Bang! fish on outside board!!! Finally the skunk was gone. Laid down a way point and keep going toward shore. Looking at my mapping I noticed a big inside turn close to shore South of the mouth and we headed straight for it. We started to cut back out of the turn and we were hooked back up. From then I bumped my speed from 1.5 to 2.0 and it was non stop action from 10am til 1pm when we left. I just kept working back and forth from the first way point up to the mouth. It was a small pocket of bait and was the only place that we pulled fish. Id guess it was a half mile section we worked all day but the fish were holding on that inside turn, every pass we were hooked up. We had two sets of doubles on the day, gotta love a little controlled cahos. It seemed everyone else out there was having trouble finding fish as well as they were jumping spot to spot all day and not really working one area.

The Ice breaker.

Doubled up.

A net full of slimers.

Out of the Net.

Another one.

We ended the day with 18 Lakers in the boat and had 3 missed fish. Blue/Silver Husky Jerks back 100 off the boards took 14 out of the 18 fish and the other 4 came on Thunder sticks. Great weather, Good friends and lots of Slime!

The "Crew" for the day.

When we cleaned two of the Lakers one had a 10" Perch in it and another one had a rubber worm in its stomach. Crazy fish. I guess we should have been using Perch patterns and rubber worms........
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Re: Laker Takers Vol. II 3/31/12

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

What a fantastic day on the water! Got to love those Husky Jerks!
See you on the pond!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Ya gotta love it when the day ends well. Great job finding the bait and active fish.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
VTgooseman

Post by VTgooseman »

It sure was a slow start but its hard to catch fish when they're not there.......... Im glad we stuck it out. I ate some of them tonight and regardless what most folks say they are pretty good. I baked one with a Maple/Brown sugar glaze, very tasty.
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

Way to go. Glad you found some willing participants. The arch looks great. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Nice, very nice!
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Way to do it up! Hope so fine dining is next.
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Gooseman - saw you guys out there. Fished about 3 hours and dropped 2 fish, that's it. Your results were certainly better than mine! I agree bait was virtually non existent and warm water was almost as scarce. Still a beautiful day on the broad lake in March!.
VTgooseman

Post by VTgooseman »

Mark, yes indeed it was a beautiful day to be on the water. You should have come over and got in on the action.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Gooseman, you were one of the few that had a successful day on the water Saturday.
Launched at 8am and fished Sandbar and Mallet bay until about 11am. Dead lines. Then moved to the big lake and caught 3 nice lakers in about 3 hours. Went back to Sandbar until 5pm without a hit. We couldn't even mark any baits.
It was a beautiful day above the water, but very slow underneath.

I love the arch you have on you Lund. Nice looking.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
morningwood
Species: walleye

Post by morningwood »

that arch works amazing on keeping the poles and boards from getting into a real mess! we had a great day fine tuning the boards and honing our skills for those eyes come may! raz i think he is making a few of those arches if anyone is intersted.