Canoe fishing the really skinny water

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tiny

Canoe fishing the really skinny water

Post by tiny »

I wanted to follow the skinny water advice from the forum so I took the canoe out and found a pocket of 70+ degree water in a swamp and harassed a huge pile of bowfin. Fish were gulping and swirling all over the place but weren't too interested in eating. Managed to hook probably 8-10 but only landed two. My fish took about 5 minutes to land and then splashed the camera so these are the only pictures:

After I got the skunk out of the canoe we switched over to the fly fishing gear and my buddy landed a little largemouth

Then we both got slammed by monster bowfin and lost both fish but it was fun to hear the drag scream. My buddy hooked in to a spunky little bowfin that fought for 10 minutes

First fish was on a gold/brown spinnerbait, all of the other hits were on bunny strip flies and clouser minnows.
Thought about keeping one for sushi tonight but decided against it...
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Re: Canoe fishing the really skinny water

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Looks like fun!

Ken
Black Ghost (Ken)
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

That looks like fun!
See you on the pond!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report Tiny.
You had fun on the water, that is a good life.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Shure looks like fun Joe! Always a blast to catch a nice fish out of a canoe. Well done!
Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Awesome! I might try for pike this weekend, don't know where yet....
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Nice work. Wait a month until the bowfin get their spawning colors in them. They are really beautiful then!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

A good time in the old Grumman. Amazing for March 20th! Nice pics and narrative, thanks for sharing.
Got bass thumb?
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Pretty cool guys an nice pic's. Thanks! :)
KEN K.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Nice Tiny.
I had a great time fishing my canoe Monday thru Wednesday out at the Cowbanks too.
Monday did good on some decent sized yellows and a few whites right after work until dark. Missed a huge strike between the shallows and the drop off I fished and uncertain if it was a salmon or not, but it hit so much harder than the largest perch I caught...guess it could've been a smallie or pike.
Tuesday didn't do as good with only a few smaller perch.
Wednsday I trolled from the state park beach all the way over to the bridge and into the marina area at Apple and was totally skunked, although I had another huge strike that almost took the pole out of my hand and was over near the bridge and the park. Water is gin clear and was smooth as glass. No one else out trolling either. My arms and shoulder felt it the next day all that paddling but I love it anyhow.
I trolled a green/glow hali and both times that was what took the hard strike.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be trolling in a canoe for the chromes in the shallows? I'm going real slow when trolling, not paddling much, mostly bouncing bottom for perch, but would like very much to figure out how to land a salmon while trolling in my canoe. Suggestions will be appreciated.
Took my son out on Arrowhead yesterday and we perched for a few hours after I got out of work. Managed to hook a few very large yellows and lose them too (forgot the net and the current is moving strong). Note to self...get the net out of the garage.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

mudchuck wrote:Nice Tiny.
I had a great time fishing my canoe Monday thru Wednesday out at the Cowbanks too.
Monday did good on some decent sized yellows and a few whites right after work until dark. Missed a huge strike between the shallows and the drop off I fished and uncertain if it was a salmon or not, but it hit so much harder than the largest perch I caught...guess it could've been a smallie or pike.
Tuesday didn't do as good with only a few smaller perch.
Wednsday I trolled from the state park beach all the way over to the bridge and into the marina area at Apple and was totally skunked, although I had another huge strike that almost took the pole out of my hand and was over near the bridge and the park. Water is gin clear and was smooth as glass. No one else out trolling either. My arms and shoulder felt it the next day all that paddling but I love it anyhow.
I trolled a green/glow hali and both times that was what took the hard strike.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be trolling in a canoe for the chromes in the shallows? I'm going real slow when trolling, not paddling much, mostly bouncing bottom for perch, but would like very much to figure out how to land a salmon while trolling in my canoe. Suggestions will be appreciated.
Took my son out on Arrowhead yesterday and we perched for a few hours after I got out of work. Managed to hook a few very large yellows and lose them too (forgot the net and the current is moving strong). Note to self...get the net out of the garage.
I bet Salmon would hit some Yo-Zuri's or Rapalas...just have to get the depth right.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Good idea Matt, I'll try some of them.