frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Post by Reelax »

Nice lakers ZG... Looks like you earned em... Thanks for the report.
Matt B
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Matt wrote:...Had an incredible time this year in new places, learning new things. I managed to land about 75 lakers this Fall ...
That's wicked inspiring, thanks! Nothing beats catching fish in a new spot.

Hey ZG, nice fish!
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I caught a small salmon Saturday, about 16", and it was in rough shape with lamprey wounds.

Caught a 17" on Sunday. This one was in good shape. Caught pretty shallow, too. Under 20'.

Both fish had baby lampreys on them (which fell off). The first one had a few.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:I caught a small salmon Saturday, about 16", and it was in rough shape with lamprey wounds.

Caught a 17" on Sunday. This one was in good shape. Caught pretty shallow, too. Under 20'.

Both fish had baby lampreys on them (which fell off). The first one had a few.
andric i was told last week by a member that the fish that were shocked there by u.s. wildlife had lots of lamprey marks. im trying to find out. that stinks.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

2/27/2018 well after talking to salmon crazy yesterday decided to hit the shoreline of open water for lakers. set up one rod with a lure and the other with a certified smelt to put on bottom. plan was to hit 2 spots 2 hours each. got to my ist choice at 8:10 am . started casting with a fishy1 honeybee casting lure and no hits within an hour. switched to a blue mackeral krocodile and the wind was picking up out of the south. at 9:25 am my rod with the smelt on took off on fire . took out about 50 yards of line and stopped kept waiting for the 2nd run to set the hook which never happened. decided to leave to my 2nd spot got there and they were working on power poles at the access so just decided to head home. the water temperature has to warm up some and i think the bite will turn on. just felt great to be back out fishing its been a long winter for me. there were a couple of boats out there trolling on a nice day.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I fished the NY side today in the sheltered bay. I saw one big salmon bust water. Also saw a school of small ones in about 8 feet of water. I hooked up with one small salmon, but it got off the hook by the net. Just as well, as I wasn't planning to keep it. Sure was pretty, though.