frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Re: frostbite shore fishing for lakers updated 10/31/2017

Post by flyfish1 »

Hi Guys,
I had the chance to buy the tails and make 2 tube flies. I made something that i could re-use on bass or pike. I think I should try it on the lakers, just need some time to fish now !
Let me know if you like them.

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

They really look nice.
The real test is how the fish like them.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

there going to work
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Nice! Those will definitely work
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/28/2017 hit the lake this morning for some laker action. 15 degrees and 5 mph wind made it frigid so i decided to fish with one rod with a certified smelt and cast at times. went up to the car and was watching my bottom smelt rod when the chrome foil i had on it dissapeared thinking maybe the wind went down and my line was moving out swiftly started to slow closed the bail and rod bent over and snap it broke me off. ugh. couldnt beleive it . i used that worm rod saturday on a river on bottom so maybe it had a knick or something guess i never will know but i lost about 50 yards of line. picked up and left to run some errands.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/29/2017 hit the lake this morning early for shore frostibite shore fishing for lakers. met up with eric and nothing was hitting or busting water. current was the strongest i ever seen there tossed out my smelt to the east and ended up south. eric had to go to work at 8 am and it was soon after i kept seeing some salmon way out leaping . so i changed lures and put on a 1/2 ounce rainbow krocodile with the sure set hooks. within 15 minutes a hit and fish on i land a 23 inch lake trout. then soon after a freight train hit and fish on i land a 27 inch laker. then just before i left at 9:30 am another freight train hit and i land a 28 inch laker that had lots of fight even after i got it in the net . thrashing on the rocks and breaking the line off near his mouth . so i was trying to get it out and release it but got hold of the gills so i ended up keeping it . filleted it and it had smelt in it. had 5 hits today and all were way out nothing close to shore.Image
Last edited by fishy1 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/30/2017 hit the lake this morning with a little more free time but when i got there the wind was gusting out of the south at 8 am. didnt take long though to get a hit and fish on only to lose it. then i had company come down to fish justin and the wind increasing no hits when justin came over and sadi he was heading out for work. just as he got to his pickup i had a freight train hit right close to shore and fish on and fighting for his life. i yelled to justin and he came down with his net it battled me and finally got it in the rocks about 2 feet from the net and shook loose. so justin was walking back to his pickup again and when my retreive got close to shore and another hit and fish on then shook loose. ugh again. justin says dont keep doing that i want to stay ha ha. anyhow he left and i had 2 more freight train hits only to lose them also on shore. ugh. then around 10:30 am the wind was really picking up i was retrieving when a gust of wind put a big bow in my line at super speed when suddenly it stiffened up and my rod doubled over and just about pulled my socket out of my shoulder and fish on and a beast. tried to open my bail quickly but didnt make it quick enough as i could see the beast laker turn its big body for the deep and pulled the hooks right out of his mouth. i was just stood there wondering what i could have done differently and maybe get lucky with those huge rollers coming in on me. not a good day but a fun day even though i was 0 for 7.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Mat have you dried your water wolf when casting from shore ?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Mat have you dried your water wolf when casting from shore ?
no don i havent but want to going to read up on it more and talk to mark. i am so afraid to lose it and plain mess it up after. im not much for electronics without help . :lol:
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow fishy1, sounds like your spot is turning on!
I love to hear about smelt, even if they're in a lakers belly. I'm going to have to figure out how to get more soon, because the smelt in my freezer from summer night fishing are almost gone.

I tried fishing near Thompson's point yesterday for a little while, but the lee of the point didn't provide much shelter for the canoe-- even before the wind picked up. I got out of there and tried a few shore spots. Zero fish.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Hey Troutcrazy i would like to know more about your summer smelt fishing.
I punched a water wolf this spring Matt and mine is still in the box also.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/2/2017 met up with salmon crazy (eric) this morning for some more frostbite shore fishing for lakers. i beleive eric has caught the frostbite fever. :lol: eric was already fishing when i got there at 7 am and he said nothing busting water.. i put on a blue mackeral 3/8 ounce krocodile with very little wind . finally layed down. ist cast 6 or 7 retreives and i have a sharp hit and it shakes loose. but as the morning went on no action at all for eric or i. left at 11 am with 2 hits but one a big surprise and teamwork with eric i landed one of my biggest salmon ever in the lake. well anyhow back to laker fishing i went back at 3 pm to fish with eric and nothing doing again but eric finally got a hit. then just before dark i saw a laker bust water 15 feet from me then on i saw it suspended . kept casting a little ways out and after about 15 unsuccessful attempts he finally hit the kroc and what do i do but pull it right out of his mouth with a hard snap of the rod. ugh. a good size laker to. not a good day on the water but the surprise salmon made my day. gave it to eric and he has a freind smoke it for him.
here is my fish of the dayImage
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Sweet
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice fish Matt!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice job Matt, hopefully you will be able to start a frostbite shore fishing for salmon thread.