3/14 Char'd To Death; Salar Slackers

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

3/14 Char'd To Death; Salar Slackers

Post by fishhuntadventure »

I pulled away from the Converse ramp under a warming sun with little wind. 36.4-36.9F water temps left me to conclude that it wouldn't be colder in the depths lacking the 39.4F magic number. Setting about well west of Split I spotted Digitroll and doubled back to take the tight line around the point behind him. They must have been moving fast and scouting cuz I never spotted them again and they didn't answer on the radio- although I could hear them chatting with Fathead now and again. I think they found what I found- a lot of marks but sluggish lakers the only takers, and not many willing at that.

That started my 12-mile-troll with a high program anticipating fish up high. Not to be. I dropped down to 15-25 and started collecting lakers here and there, the first a really fat 28-1/2 right off the tower and obviously a laker before I ever saw it. Took my Junior Streak secret weapon on a slide diver (plantstone knows!) and that was the ticket of the day- slide diver back 21 down 75 side to plane out. EVERY fish came on that minus ONE hit on the Big Jon Mini Disk 88 feet out with a Dreamweaver Area 51. Eventually had a couple of Jr. Streaks in the same color but lead, riggers, flatlines, or mini disk ain't what they wanted. I needed a second Slide Diver!!
Not a lot of action and a ton of fish on the sonar and radio reflected similar results so I kept heading south all the way to Westport. All 2-1/2 - 5# lakers but no salmon. Turned around in the rain and stopped in Barn Rock Harbor to put up the top.Image Picked up a few out in the deep off Diamond, and then trolled into Town Farm looking for warm water. Didn't find "the right' temps but there was a 1/4 mile spot just inside the south point and a 1/2 mile north of it that registered 37.x over 70-80 feet. The tons of fish at 60-80 and deeper were spread out over some bait and I made myself dizzy with figure eights and pounded the snot out of some 19- 24" lakers for about 45 minutes before I got bored. Lakers do that to me.Image

All in all I want like 8 netted for 9 or ten hooked in addition to the Town Farm laker festival. EVERY fish was on the slide diver!

I still wanted salmon so about 3:15 I opened up the throttle and swung up to Thompsons. Started trolling over 25- 30 feet with stuff high. Ran around the corner and into deep water along the Neutrino Historical Site but stayed high seeing minimal deep fish. Slide Diver releases- AGAIN. Grab the rod, feel the diver slide to the bead, and then....nothing. I reeled in the cut-off 30# powerpro minus the Slide Diver and lure. Somewhere there is a laker (probably a laker anyway) running around with a Jr Streak, 7 feet of 14# fluorocarbon, and a swivel on the end.

On that note I reeled up the other rod and throttled to the ramp salmon-less and mourning my slide diver. I hate losing tackle. And there was no one to commiserate with as the lot was now empty.

(pictures to be inserted later)

Mark
Last edited by fishhuntadventure on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
digitroll (ron)

Re: 3/14 Char'd To Death; Salar Slackers

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great write-up Mark. We saw you come across as Pat was fighting a fish. Never heard you on the radio. Maybe our speed was a little hot for lakers trying for silvers.

I have lost two slide divers between Buckwheat and Bakers dock on the shore side of the boat. Takes two seconds to snag and rip em off.

Nice report and success!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very good read Mark. I wish I didn't have to work and could have joined you...
I guess lakers are good enough to keep you busy, even if you didn't get any nice pink fillets... That will be next time....
Matt B
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Ya, Matt. I was just itching to give some fresh garlic company of some salmon!
Digitroll (Ron) wrote:...Maybe our speed was a little hot for lakers trying for silvers....
I have lost two slide divers between Buckwheat and Bakers dock on the shore side of the boat. Takes two seconds to snag and rip em off. Nice report and success!
Thanks, Ron. Ya, my figure-eight festival in Town Farm was like 3 hits on the inside (slow but speeding up) to 1 on the outside. On the slide diver- could have been rocks, but I saw the "trip" and felt the "slide" and I figure that there were one-too-many lakers as the 30# braid was cut razor clean. Was pretty mad about losing the rig, but I bought several backups a month or so back.....

Might try again tomorrow AM early as I just got a call with someone wanting to go out. It's a busy day tomorrow but an early enough leave time might make a morning trip possible!
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!