Petition for Removal of the Swanton Dam

Share info on fishing Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Petition for Removal of the Swanton Dam

Post by raz »

A petition for removal of the Swanton Dam has been published.
Another important issue regarding the Lake Champlain Fishery.
Please consider signing, and passing along the information.

https://www.change.org/petitions/restor ... wanton-dam
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Re: Petition for Removal of the Swanton Dam

Post by fishmaster176 »

I grew up just above the Swanton Dam and I wouldn't jump too quick at the idea of removal. It would take a ton of money and work to stabilize the sediment behind the dam and would ruin a very good fishery already there. It would be interesting to see the junk in the river. I personally know of an old Mercury outboard that's been in the water since 1972. It may be for the better, but I spent many years fishing above the dam, and caught some nice Pike, Bass and Muskies. I hate to think that any of that would be lost. It was also great for skating and snowmobiling in the winter. Once the dam goes, that will too. I haven't seen pictures of what it looked like before the dam, but I would say that it won't be navigable by boat. Time to do my homework.
kaos12fly

Post by kaos12fly »

As a Swanton native, and avid fisherman in the area my entire life, I fully support the removal of the Swanton dam. The benefits that are consistently listed by proponents of the dam removal far outweigh any recently held historical value. The cost to the local taxpayers would be minimal, if any at all. The previous state administration made it clear that removal would be fully funded, and although I have not heard the official stance of Commissioner Berry, I would be surprised if the same position were not held if the general public supported its removal.

Sediment would not be an issue at all with removal. There is a high enough flow behind the dam that it has been shown that there is virtually no buildup at the base of the upstream side of the dam. Anyone who ever passes through Swanton in the spring should be able to clearly realize that anything that has built up there would be easily washed away during the high flow the Missisquoi sees every year.

The low head of the dam means that the river will never "disappear" as many seem to think. The dam stands about 7 feet high on the upstream side, thus only raises the river upstream a maximum height of 7 feet. Once you go "uphill" seven feet along the river, no change will be seen in water levels. This has been measured to be located just above John's Bridge on Rt 7. Thus, any further upstream than this will show no signs of changing post-removal. The areas in between are generally 15+ feet deep. A decrease of 7 feet will leave plenty of river making it still navigable. The dam itself was built on a natural falls, which may not be navigable by motorized boat, but likely will be by canoe or kayak. With a dam there now though, removal would only be an improvement in overall navigability of the area.

As for the fishery above the dam, it can do nothing but improve. First off, keep in mind that the dam removal will only affect the river up to the Highgate Dam, a site that has always been a natural barrier to fish passage. Bass and pike populations upstream won't be affected by the removal. Their habitat won't change, and the water is much too warm to support any sort of permanent cold water species populations that could possibly compete with the species that are already there. Musky have not been seen in the river for decades, so opening up the river as additional habitat would only further support their recovery. The addition of 300 to 3000 times more spawning habitat for walleye and lake sturgeon would be immensely beneficial to the fishery. Although lack of spawning habitat likely was not the cause for decline of these species, it could very easily be a solution.

As for skating and snowmobiling on the river, I do not understand how that would change. Dam removal will not affect the amount of water coming down the river, thus there will still be a river that will freeze just the same as it does now. If anyone wants to risk going on river ice with the warm winters it seems are becoming more and more common, they are just as welcome to with the dam gone.

I find it hard to see how any members of the fishing community, especially those in the area, could be against this removal. The biological and subsequent economic value would be tremendously beneficial for the area. If people can present valid reasons other than its "historical significance", I would love to hear them. In the mean time, I say "Damn the Damn Dam", lets take it out.
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Information and documentary on the Removal of the Swanton Dam to restore fish passages on the Missisquoi River.

http://www.vermont.gov/portal/media/video.php?mid=59
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Too bad that we can't ask the fish who have lived lamprey free. Removal of the dam will means infestations of 4 miles of river and any tributary. An ecosystem that has existed for almost a century will be ruined. Dropping the water level by 7' will make most motorized navigation impossible for the first 2 miles upriver. I no longer live in Swanton, so I wouldn't have to witness the destruction, but I do know that it'll be a mess for a long time and the residents of Swanton will have a major eyesore to cope with along with depreciation of riverside property. Hope it's worth it.
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Only 7 feet? That's not that much?

I never really pay attention to the dam and I am in Swanton all the time. But I don't live there so, I really have no say.

Has the dam helped in during floods?

Is there a control for the level? I just see an old damn when I drive by, I have not noticed a working dam.
Last edited by Dockside on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos12fly

Post by kaos12fly »

Yup, only 7 feet...when you have 15 feet of water immediately above it, still going to have plenty left for those boats...

The dam doesn't do a thing for floods. There is no control to it, its just a slab of concrete going across the river. It literally serves no function. There has been some talk of converting it to generate hydropower, but the amount it would generate is very small, (again, only 7 feet tall...you can't get much energy out of that drop), and I don't see Swanton taxpayers being any too willing to dish out $10 million to simply power their street lamps, (and maybe the single strands of Christmas lights on our 150+ ft evergreen trees in the park during the holidays :-D :-D )
dons

Post by dons »

So, whats the latest status on getting this thing removed? I don't fish, but would love the see the dam removed to help improve spawning opportunities in the river. The restoration of the original falls and the resulting spawning runs might be a tourist draw. As it is pretty much no one pays any attention to that tiny nondescript dam as they drive over the bridge. And as an earlier poster indicated, any portion of the river 7 feet in elevation above the removed dam would be unaffected. As an FYI I own a home on Lakewood drive.

So what can be done to expedite this process. I would love to see this removed in my lifetime (I'm 64).
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

dons wrote:
So what can be done to expedite this process. I would love to see this removed in my lifetime (I'm 64).
Dons...as far as I know, the biggest pushers of the dam removal is the Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife and Lake Champlain International. You should contact them and see if there is a way for you to get involved and help. I'm sure a Swanton resident that favors the removal of the dam would be a welcome asset.
Gerry