Fishing with my son Wade today (Shelburne Bay)

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Fishing with my son Wade today (Shelburne Bay)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Took a break from Fishville today and with a 3 hour window fished the entrance to Shelburne Bay with my 10 yr. old son Wade. We motored out at 11:00 am and Wade loaded 4 short sticks with downsized small bait casting reels with 20 lb braid on the 4 riggers. He picked out a #1 Honey Bee that was orange / copper and at the 20 minute mark a nice fat Brown about 18" nailed it down 10 feet and a long lead.. The fish jumped 3 times and made it to the net. The next 2.5 hours we had 8 more releases between 10 and 15 feet down on long leads with salmon and Wade landed 3. The bomb pop was the hottest lure today. The hottest action was 10-15 feet down on the 4 riggers with long leads.

Spoke with Reggie down at Converse on the VHF and Pierre over in Willsboro. Very calm glass like conditions today. Pulled them after 3 hours at 2 pm and headed to the 99 restaurant for his favorite meal of macaroni and cheese.

Wade was getting a lot of practice setting riggers with the 4 short sticks and walker releases. It was his second time out this year and earlier in late June he was battling Lake trout south of Rock Dunder and today it was all salmon and Mr. Brown trout. He also operated the autopilot and smart craft troll control rpm gauge with confidence.

Wade driving us to the fishing grounds:

The fishing grounds:

2 of the 4 short sticks on riggers;

Wade's reward for picking out a Honey Bee #1 that Mr. Brown trout ate on our first release:

The Bomb Pop was really hot:

Today's harvest:

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Fishing with my son Wade today (Shelburne Bay)

Post by tamiron »

Ron:

Thanks for sharing! Your son has great taste already! He is obviously learning from the right source and seems to be well on his way to becoming the next generation of the Frost Bite Fleet.

Wade:
Congratulations on that beautiful Brown Trout and the other fish that you caught! You should be really proud of what you have already learned and will learn in the future! Tell your dad you need a handle now to go along with that skill level! Let us know what you come up with!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Way to go Wade - that's a fish any of us would be proud of!
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Great job! ;)
I caught a brown that same size last week. They fight so wonderfully. Sounds like you had a great time out there with the kid, mine will be there next year, or 2 haha. Thanks for the read. Glad to see people out enjoying the weather.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Way to go Wade!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

congratulations wade . keep after dad to take you since you are already a frostbiter.
On The Job (mike)
Species: all varieties

Post by On The Job (mike) »

way to go wade .Nice job
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Way cool Guys
Fish On!
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Very nice fish! Looks like a perfect day too. Hard to beat father and son days on the lake.Thanks for sharing!
Ridds
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Can't get a better fishing partner than your own son. Congrats Wade on a great job. Your father cannot be more proud.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Thanks for all the kind comments and Wade has been smiling all day today. :)

Looking forward to a couple more trips out on salt free roads in the next 6 days. Don't put the boat away yet!
digitroll (ron)

Short 1 minute video Wade reeling in a salmon on a "Bomb Pop" pattern lure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHHbZcQkl8
pierre
Species: salmon

Post by pierre »

wow very nice
Pier waves spoons
digitroll (ron)

For anyone wanting to set up short stiks for kids:

I went to Dick's and was unable to find a suitable 6' rod for down riggers that had the right rod flexibility type characteristics for running off a rigger. I had to buy a combo (at Dick's) closed faced Zebco 33 and a 6 ft two piece medium rod (Authentic series) to get the rods I wanted. The Zebco 33 drags are either to loose or too hard with little adjustment and I removed them. Found some small ABU Garcia "Silver Max" baitcaster reels (6 ball bearings) with nice big dual paddle handles and a push button release on the front. They are normally $50 reels and I purchased them on sale for $25 at Dick's. Loaded them with 300 feet of 20 lb Power pro with a 6 ft fluro 12 lb. leader.

They work really well in the riggers and for kids to reel in and set back out. This was my first test of these rods on this latest trip. I wanted a combo that would handle a large fish and this fit that requirement. These rods will also work great for Jigging or any other kind of fishing as well.

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:For anyone wanting to set up short stiks for kids: I went to Dick's and was unable to find a suitable 6' rod for down riggers that had the right rod flexibility type characteristics for running off a rigger. I had to buy a combo (at Dick's) closed faced Zebco 33 and a 6 ft two piece medium rod (Authentic series) to get the rods I wanted. The Zebco 33 drags are either to loose or too hard with little adjustment and I removed them. Found some small ABU Garcia "Silver Max" baitcaster reels (6 ball bearings) with nice big dual paddle handles and a push button release on the front. They are normally $50 reels and I purchased them on sale for $25 at Dick's. Loaded them with 300 feet of 20 lb Power pro with a 6 ft fluro 12 lb. leader. They work really well in the riggers and for kids to reel in and set back out. This was my first test of these rods on this latest trip. I wanted a combo that would handle a large fish and this fit that requirement. These rods will also work great for Jigging or any other kind of fishing as well. "http://s257.photobucket.com/user/ron1win/media/unnamed_zpseedntspt.jpg.html" "http://s257.photobucket.com/user/ron1win/media/unnamed_zpsx6h3kszk.jpg.html" "http://s257.photobucket.com/user/ron1win/media/unnamed_zpsgzkkfvtg.jpg.html"

That's a pretty cool idea Ron... Thanks for the report and info.