Planer reel mounting question

Share info on fishing Champlain.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Planer reel mounting question

Post by vtfishin »

I use in-lines now but would like to be rigged for regular planer boards by spring. I am contemplating mounting a reel on each side of the boat mid-ship or a mast up on the bow. Mounting a mast on the bow would be easy, mounting on the side would be hard due to foamed gunnels, slanted shape etc.

You guys have any pros and cons, preferences etc of bow mounted mast vs side mounted reels?

I appreciate it,
Matt S
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Planer reel mounting question

Post by Reelax »

As long as you can get to the mast, I would go with one up front. I have one for sale too! Bought a double reel big Jon last spring and new boat has 2 masts due to Cuddy. Just pm me if interested.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I think it depends on the boat. Like Reelax said, if you can get to the mast, put one up front.
If it's easier and you have lots of room on each side, that may be more convenient but things might start getting tight.
You mention the difficulty of mounting on the sides of the boat so I think I'd shy away from that option.

Mine is up front, and sometimes the line can be hard to reach from "mid-ship", especially with my Bimini up...but nothing a boat hook doesn't solve.
boat hook.jpg
boat hook.jpg (2.93 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.
Matt S
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

when you use a bow mounted planer reel setup you can use 2 rretreiver lines attached to the planer board line by using a snap clip on each retriever line..In other words,you tie a light cord off to each side of the boat and the other end has a clip on it whch you snap over the planer board line after the planer boards are in the water, then when you want to reach the planer board line you just pull in the retriever line and attach your release.
sundown4570
Species: Salmon /Trout

Post by sundown4570 »

fishingmachine wrote:when you use a bow mounted planer reel setup you can use 2 rretreiver lines attached to the planer board line by using a snap clip on each retriever line..In other words,you tie a light cord off to each side of the boat and the other end has a clip on it whch you snap over the planer board line after the planer boards are in the water, then when you want to reach the planer board line you just pull in the retriever line and attach your release.

Great Idea :idea: .............Thanks

Steve
Sundown