Frostbite question

Share info on fishing Champlain.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Frostbite question

Post by vtfishin »

Do you folks that do the frostbite put your boats up for the winter or fish right through? I'm tempted to do the Frostbite but would normally have the rig tucked away by then...

Thanks,
Matt S
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Re: Frostbite question

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

Hey Matt -

The last few years I've kept mine going until the 1st or 2nd week of December, then I put it up. A lot of people keep them going year round but I'm not a big fan of pulling through snow and slush to get off the hill.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Matt,
Depending on the years conditions and my wifes mood i fish as long as there is open water....... It may take some work getting out, like slow driving in snow, shoveling the ramp, breaking ice to get to open water and lots of heating and thawing of the motor but it is all worth it. Most times late in the season we go out in groups and for the most part come off together. Most days you can mooch a ride with someone to learn the riopes of this wild and sometimes crazy sport of Frostbite fishing.
Todd
Todd
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

This will be my 3rd year frostbite fishin. I've put my boat up in December each year.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

I haven't done squat this year, but the last day of my 2009 season was January 27th, 2010...First day of 2010 season was March 6th when my boat went in, and did not come back out till November 2010...

Last winter was long, and annoying, and I just have not had any motivation to fish after the marathon 200+ day year in 2010...

I'm getting antsy though...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Last year I keep my boat out a bit late, but sure did have some fun fishing some different Adirondack waters late in the season :mrgreen: My wife thought it was a bit extreme one afternoon until we got into an all out brown trout slam :mrgreen: The worst thing about frostbite fishing is it can get addicting and the boyz at hunting camp may disown you if you catch the bug :lol:
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

Hey Matt

Keep your boat in as long as you can because the frostbite fishing can be really hot and addicting. LOL You have to take extra precautions thought, the weather can turn on a dime and Todd gave some great advice. One year Todd and I fished at least one day in every month and I caught my personnel best salmon. So keep an eye on the forum and make plans with the other members and hook up with them whether in your boat on on theirs.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

I live for Frostbite and have fished it in an open boat...brrrrrr, this year warm and comfy!
sundown4570
Species: Salmon /Trout

Post by sundown4570 »

Cool Avatar
Sundown
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

homewrecker wrote:I live for Frostbite and have fished it in an open boat...brrrrrr, this year warm and comfy!
Hey Dean; I've seen one of those avatars jumping in champlain before, :lol: pretty creative!
KEN K.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Frostbite fishing is fun, specially if you have an heated storage for your boat.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Do the Frostbite by all means! The last of the 2010 season for me was January 18th 2011 - you just have to be mindful of draining the water from the motor right when you pull out so none stays inside and freezes. I have never anti-freezed my motor anyway but did have an issue with ice killing the water pump impeller once when I didn't let the lower unit sit in the water for a few minutes to come up to water temp and not have ice inside. Other than that no probs.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!