Out of town Laker

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Out of town Laker

Post by Bearcat »

I know there is a forum for Non-Lake Champlain fishing reports but I thought this picture was a testament to the health of the Champlain fishery. I caught this laker in Otsego Lake in Cooperstown, NY today. I couldn't help noticing that the lakers I've caught in Champlain that were of similar length were considerably fatter, maybe a good pound heavier; and this fish has never seen a lamprey. The strange thing was that as skinny as it was, it fought like a pitbull, took well over 5 minutes to get it in the net, burped up air bubbles and held tight, pulled straight down like a cement block, go figure. Btw . . .#1 Honeybee, white with purple and gold diagonal stripe, bouncing on the bottom at 55'.
Attachments
Otsego Laker 8-7-15.jpg
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Re: Out of town Laker

Post by Registered Kayak »

Yeah, that thing is skinny, but I bet you were expecting a lunker from that fight ;) That always happens to me when crappie fishing :)
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

So our Lakers are fat and lazy while the Ostegos are trim hard fighters that are too fast for lampreys.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Are there any lamprey in that lake?
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

I've never heard of any lamprey reports out of there. The state stopped stocking LL's and browns a few years ago because the alewives died off. Now they just put in a lot of walleye (I was told 40,000) and 2,500 lakers a year. The state biologist said the main forage is perch. Hard to believe, the lake is clear, deep and cold, bait everywhere, I think it was a poor decision to end the salmon and trout program, the fishing was outstanding there up until 6 or 7 years ago. . . . and fat, lazy, scarred up lakers are ok by me, especially when they're outnumbered by fat scarred up silvers, browns and steelhead! Good one Ken.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

It's very interesting that the usual idea is that big and fat means a healthy fish, but slim means hungry. Sounds like the opposite. I love the fight, so I'll take a slimmer warrior than a sleepy fatboy. I'm no fish shrink, so I'll leave the thinking part up to the experts.
tench
Species: Everything

Post by tench »

most of the lakers I get out of the NEK lakes are slimmer than Champlain fish, they have brighter colors too. Definitely taste better ;) Give and take on both sides I guess.
Catskillbob
Species: Stripers, Trout

Post by Catskillbob »

How was the launch ramp @ Otsego? I have heard great things about trout through the ice there, not sure about open water though.

Thanks!
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

The ramp is OK, a little tight getting my 21' boat in but not too bad. The problem is parking. On a weekend, if you get there after 9 AM you may have trouble. There are lots of walleye, the bass fishery (large and small mouth) is great and is underfished. There are still some LL's and big browns lurking around but Lakers are much more common and are still stocked. The locals seem to do pretty good but I haven't done enough trolling or jigging to make much of a judgment on it yet. A really nice place to spend the day either way.