Trailer lights?

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Matt
Species: Any

Trailer lights?

Post by Matt »

So I noticed when I got home today that my brake lights on my trailer didn't work. I checked the bulbs and they were both blown (and broken) So I'm not sure if it was because they were old or if there was another problem. I'm assuming because there are drain holes at the bottom of the lights that they should be fine being submerged - or am I missing something? Should the light housing be waterproof?
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Re: Trailer lights?

Post by Sea Hare »

Unplug them before you back into the water. Plug them back in after they have drained.
It's not just a unit of measure !
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

You definitely don't want water getting in there, shorts, hot bulb meeting 76* water, plus you don't want to get pulled over and possibly ticketed if you run out of bulbs.
Silicone that baby up :)
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Got it, thanks!
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Trailer lights - the bane of a boat owner's existence! I too always unplug the lights when backing in, and plug back in when leaving. It's become part of the routine.
________
Mike
dragnballs
Species: if it swims, Iwill fish for it

Post by dragnballs »

Hey Matt, do not seal those lights up as they need air both to keep them from coroding and to cool,the only ones that are sealed tight are the led ones. Just unplug when you get to the launch and the bulb will be cool enough not to pop when you back in. Just my 2cents worth as a tech with 20 year experience.
Kevin
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

I got tired of dealing with the incandescent bulbs so I bought this LED set a Tractor Supply and they have worked perfectly for a couple years now. I still unplug before I dunk the trailer though, not taking any chances!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... nder-80-in