Best Walleye strategies (post your best strategy)

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Best Walleye strategies (post your best strategy)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Our best evening August trolling strategy in the 80's:

Start with 6 lb. cannonballs on two riggers. Lead is 8 feet on one at 30 feet down and the other is 25 feet lead at 25 feet down. Shallow running long A Bombers in small and medium (4 1/2" size with bloody nose or blue. Start 30 minutes before sunset over deep water 70 feet or more near sharp drop-offs at 2.5 GPS speed. In areas of walleye you can watch the fish actually rise till they get to your rigger zones. They typically will start hitting the riggers first before your two long lines with deep divers later around 15 minutes after sunset. I am not sure if it was the noise the 6 lb round balls made and the short leads is what sucked the fish in but it was a deadly method for us in the 1980's. It targeted 6-9 lb fish consistently. This method worked best for the first 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunset as the fish were rising.

I have seen other walleye veterans target buoys and literally tie up to to them or anchor 50 feet away and cast after 10 pm at nights as an effective non-trolling approach at night well after sunset.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Re: Best Walleye strategies (post your best strategy)

Post by Captain Paul »

Ron this great info I will have to try on my next walleye adventure
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I don't have the time to fish Walleye's anymore, but it was a great presentation for us in the hey day. Good luck Paul. The cans off of Stave sound like a good place to try as well as off Marycrest / Hyde point and the east side of Fishbladder 70 ft or more. Never tried it too many times in September as we always put our boat away after returning from Ontario around labor day back then.
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Biggest Eye I ever latched into was trolling at 80 feet for Salmon with a 1/4oz Copper Mooselook...
Not sure that is a 'strategy', but it was fun...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Thanks for all of the info. I have caught more walleye during open water fishing this year than in my past do to some of the good information out there. Sure is a blast and the kids like catching them so it is all good!