Ask the Audience

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Ask the Audience

Post by Surprise »

Hey all, HELP !

Yesterday was my shakedown cruise and after the Mouse eviction, Trailer light fiasco, and a motor needing new plugs all went well.

Except....some of you remember that I purchased a Eagle FishElite 480 on a closeout to replace my etch-A-sketch from the 90's. I did the Navionics chip upgrade. I also have aboard a Eagle Fishmark480 DF Sonar with speed and temp. The sonar screen features in this unit are better than the sonar features in the "new" GPS/Sonar. Plus being over 50 I can see better on two 5 inch screens than a split screen.

I installed The new unit to be used as GPS only. I only installed the antenna "Puck" and did not hook up the transponder for sonar. I like the readout of paddlewheel and Groundspeed from GPS as my version of FishHawk.

I had fired the unit stationary at home and all looked good after installation in January.

My Problem / Question....When running on the lake the screen seems to refresh with a partial black screen sweep or blackout that has no order frequency. Another is that I get angular black patches that would appear to be land or off lake areas that seem to have fallen off the map.

Question: I have powered from a buss bar under the Helm. Is the problem equipment or power related? Do I need to run directly to the battery?
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Randy
Fish On!
Dockside

Re: Ask the Audience

Post by Dockside »

Randy I dont know?
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Is the problem equipment or power related?
What about operator error? :lol:

I can't help you, I don't have a marine grade GPS on my boat, just a make-shift garmin nuvi! But I've seen this unit on another boat and it seemed to work fine. Good luck with it, hope you get it figured out.
________
Mike
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Randy, possibly a corrupt file on the data card? If the GPS has a base map loaded, try it without the chip in it. Just an idea.
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Randy,

Please give me a call today at Vermont Home and Marine 658-5427. I may be able to help trouble shoot your problem. I need some more detail.

Thanks,

Ron