trolling for salmon and lakers

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
duckhunter
Species: All

trolling for salmon and lakers

Post by duckhunter »

when you guys troll do you use a "daisy chain" ahead of the lure or do you just troll the spoon it's self behind the ball!
Due to fishing solo most of the time and the type of boat I have, 17 ft tracker grizzly, I only mount one downrigger and use lead core on the other side. I have dipsy divers etc as well. I build my own spinners and am curious as to what works best so I am not just out there dragging a lot of jewelery around! Also if you do use a rig in front of the spoon , do you use a leader on the spoon and how long?
Thanks,
Loyd
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: trolling for salmon and lakers

Post by Reelax »

Only thing I run in front of spoon is an invisaswivle.
Caiman (Shawn)
Species: Multi

Post by Caiman (Shawn) »

I use vertical flashers between my release (Chamberlain) and the ball. That keeps my spoon up about 3' above the bottom if your dragging balls. A lot of guy's use horizontal flashers/lake trolls for lakers from what I've heard. I'm still new to this type of fishing but that's what has worked for me so far.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Early season in the shallows I don't use any blades or jewelry and I use long drop backs and mini boards. Once the spring/early summer pattern settles and the fish are in the 25-45 foot range and I'm running cheaters, I do add vertical blades between my release and the ball. I've been running green and UV white blades for almost 3 years, and maybe I'm missing out by not running copper, silver, blue or some other color (like Bombpop!), but I've never felt the need to change the blades. Once I add blades, I also tend to shorten my drop back to the lure. On my lines themselves I use only a small bead chain swivel and a small duolock clip. When this basic set-up struggles, I usually adjust speed and direction of my troll first, but when desperate I will occasionally add a small e-chip flasher to one side of my spread about 24 inches ahead of the lure. Sometimes that's magic! Midsummer Lakers are another story. 100 feet + of water, balls in the sand banging bottom, flash and a big stick bait is usually my go-to. I don't think for lakers you can make too much noise, but I don't usually target them.
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

Good infos TUnamas ! I keep that in mind.
duckhunter

Post by duckhunter »

Dumb question, what are vertical blades, never heard that term before?
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Vertical blades.....
A 3.5 ft cable in which one end hooks to your down rigger cable and the other end hooks to your cannon ball release
Usually two or three smaller cables hang evenly from the main cable.
Attached to the smaller cables are two big atracter blades... Maybe some beads and other colorfull things.

I run my main line lure 4 feet behind the cable
I then run my fixed cheater( which is three feet long) 4 feet above that

During the LCI I ran one set down 72 feet with great success for salmon....
Todd
duckhunter

Post by duckhunter »

I think I get it, saw a few examples online. Anychance someone can post I pic showing how there look hooked up?
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Best I could find doing a quick search:

Ball below, release above.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Caiman (Shawn)
Species: Multi

Post by Caiman (Shawn) »

They sell the vertical flashers at Datillio's on the Shelburne Rd.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
duckhunter

Post by duckhunter »

Thanks for the info guys, That is the great thing about these forums, tons of good info and people willing to share their knowledge!!!
I have a camo 17 ft tracker grizzly with a 25 hp Merc and it is not the best set up but I added a manual downrigger on one side and use a leadcore line that I normally hold or put in the holder. Have been doing quite a bit of saltwater fishing lately and have gotten away from the lake so I'm a little rusty!!!...LOL

Git a few salmon two years ago north of the bridge but have never caught a laker yet. I had some motor issues earlier in the spring so didn't get out earlier so now I assume i need to go deep for the lakers? Have any if you tried deep jigging yet? I hear that is also and good method..

Thanks again for all the info

Loyd
duckhunter

Post by duckhunter »

MSM, thanks for the info on the blades i will have to stop by Datillio's and check then out!!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Loyd, If you haven't ever boated a laker yet... Nows the time, they are all over. Most are still suspended, but I hear that jiggin is working too... Good luck.
duckhunter

Post by duckhunter »

Thanks Reelax, I am going to give it my best shot. We do a lot if jigging for stripers but that is a whole different ball gam....LOL but I do have some 1 oz and 1 1/2 oz. jigs that should work so I am going to give it a shot. Seems like it needs to be a fairly calm day so boat control isn't a big issue. Hardest part would be staying on top of them!!