converce on fri 6th

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Tracker
Species: all

converce on fri 6th

Post by Tracker »

Fished 4 hrs 8-12 went 4 on 4 lakers no salmon,are fixed cheaters a must or does everybody do all right with out them I have used them for yrs with mixed results but don"t care for the mess they make when you catch a fish,the lakers all came on a silver mooselook and silver hammered 44 sutton not real fast fishing but had a good time solo 30' down. Kevin
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Re: converce on fri 6th

Post by flyguy »

Lakers are in abundance now in that area. Fun to catch, and a good opportunity to work on your program. Try different tactics, if you are locked into the area. Sometimes you can find the salmon suspended (pretty shallow right now) over the deep. Find the bait...find the salmon. Also try a submersible temp. probe to find the sweet spot. Been slow and I don't fish derbies, so I went sailing today. Sounds like you had fun, too. :)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Cheaters can many times take more fish than mainlines. I don't often experience big tangles like you've described? Try free sliding cheaters, they work very well also.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I don't run cheaters unless the riggers are atleast 20down. I also remove them when the bite is hot, sometimes they are just in the way.

Good luck, thanks for the report.
mspgh
Species: northern

Post by mspgh »

ok. What's a cheater? I'm an honest guy so I've obviously never used it!
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

well to my knowledge a cheater is my (ex-wife) lol. But in the fishing world its a 18"-36" line with a swivel on one end and quick snap on ther for lure to hook too. from there after you set the mainline down hooked to the release at the ball you snap the swivel on your line and let it go down the mainline from pole. It will find center on its own due to bow in line. So if you are down 30' with ball and main line the cheater will be roughly 15' there might be a get way to explain it but this is just my second year trolling for salmon so fairly new still hoping someone corrects me if I'm wrong. chad (cpmaple)
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

that's a free sliding cheater allright,I have found that a 12" leader works just as good as a longer one,and sometimes I use what's called a short slider,with no leader at all,just a swivel and a snap and a lure,(thanks to MikeP)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

fishingmachine wrote:that's a free sliding cheater allright,I have found that a 12" leader works just as good as a longer one,and sometimes I use what's called a short slider,with no leader at all,just a swivel and a snap and a lure,(thanks to MikeP)

Frank,

That is very interesting "short slider". I may try that.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:
fishingmachine wrote:that's a free sliding cheater allright,I have found that a 12" leader works just as good as a longer one,and sometimes I use what's called a short slider,with no leader at all,just a swivel and a snap and a lure,(thanks to MikeP)

Frank,

That is very interesting "short slider". I may try that.
x2. It makes sense, I just never thought about it like that.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

With this short slider system, do you seem to have more tangles on cheater lure to main line? Prob. could only use single hooked lures I would assume?
"OFF SEASON"