3 rods per license

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Re: 3 rods per license

Post by fishhuntadventure »

lazycs wrote:not only are you allowed 3 lines but also you can have up to 5 lures on each line...so don't forget to tie up some more cheaters!!
This page: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31510.html says only two lures on each line...

And from doing a little research just now (not done yet) I wouldn't be running three rods on Champlain just yet. I looked into this pretty heavy a few years ago, but this thread has me doing it again. So far Vermont doesn't want to commit to saying only two rods on the NY side, just that NY law applies (which above link states is two lures...) and New York hasn't committed to saying three rods are permissible.

I am frustrated - thinking at the moment that I should have asked, "can I run six lures per angler on the New York side of Champlain, or four lures?" LOL

Not sure why a question can't be simply answered yes or no...
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

if you read down you will see that it was made clear by tuck that it is in fact only 2 lures per line, but thanks for bringing this to everyones attention again..
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

actually it's pretty clear on both sides. not sure where your getting your info.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

But-but what about flies?
Ha!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Hey Raz.... If your fishing with flies that have no hooks... Then you might be able to use more than. Two.

You just will have just one little problem to get over... No fish.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
fishhuntadventure

Well, this is an about face from what the answers were several years ago. My calls to Vermont F&W and corresponding emails were not definitive other than to say, "...you have to follow New York laws when fishing in New York..." with no comments or specific answers to the question asked regarding the permissibility of three rods on the NY side of Champlain from VT F&W.

Five phone calls to NY DEC got me an official at the regional office who said, "it is not published in the regs but we tell people that Champlain is only two rods per angler" but when I asked her name to quote her, she declined and gave me a phone number for Dave Winchell when I asked, "well, can you get me to someone who I *can* quote?"

Mr Winchell called me back several days later, said he would have to find out the answer. I asked him to email me- quoted here:
Mark,

New York State Environmental Conservation Law was revised several years ago to allow an angler to operate up to three lines with or without rods. There is no special regulation on Lake Champlain regarding the number of lines an angler can operate. The exception being while ice fishing only two lines are allowed and 15 tip-ups. An angler on Lake Champlain can operate up to three lines within New York, unless they are ice fishing. Anglers must comply with Vermont laws and regulation when they are fishing in Vermont waters.

David Winchell
NYSDEC Region 5
Public Outreach
P.O. Box 296
Ray Brook, NY 12977
I like the option of running three rods when at Oneida for example, but unsettled about doing that on Champlain. It would be nice to run a "high" rod sometimes when I have a rigger and a slide diver out.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

instigator wrote:that just means the guys running 3 now will be running 4 later, you know who you are!!!!
violators!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I am still under the opinion that special regs apply to Champlain and that we can run only two rods; but I may be wrong as I have been a few times in my life. I am personally only going to run two lines per person on my boat. One thing that would always concern me is where the boundary line between NY and VT which is suppose to be the center of deep water. Now that boundary line is open to interpertation of the fishermen and the law officers. Guess who's opinion counts?

Plus I usually have all I can do to maintain two rods. I think the NY three rod regulation is wrong.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

Walt's right, I can easily get 3 rods out but maintaining two rods is enough and if the water is rough two can be a handful if you're by yourself.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

Reel Delight (Walt) wrote:I am still under the opinion that special regs apply to Champlain and that we can run only two rods; but I may be wrong as I have been a few times in my life. I am personally only going to run two lines per person on my boat. One thing that would always concern me is where the boundary line between NY and VT which is suppose to be the center of deep water. Now that boundary line is open to interpertation of the fishermen and the law officers. Guess who's opinion counts?

Plus I usually have all I can do to maintain two rods. I think the NY three rod regulation is wrong.
your gps should have the boundry line on it.
fishhuntadventure

I actually support the idea of 3 rods per angler... The creel limit doesn't change- just the catch potential may be helped a little.

Fishing solo three rods isn't always possible or prudent, but there are times when it's desirable when the bite is tough. Triples on at Oneida is FUN:) but usually results in not boating every fish. Which is OK when the catching is hot! In fact, when the bite picks up you usually can't manage to get more than one or two rods out at any one time... And really, Oneida is the only place I can think of where getting triples is a regular risk...

I agree, though, conditions or other factors may often limit using more than one or two rods, but as far as the legality, a NY DEC official says you can (on the NY side), and Vermont is no longer saying you /can't/ run three rods on the NY side. So... I think it can be a nice option to have on a slow day.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Raz wrote:
instigator wrote:that just means the guys running 3 now will be running 4 later, you know who you are!!!!
violators!

10-4 Reggie and Raz.....

Personally, I don't think a third rod a person is a real value add here on Champlain when fishing close to the boundary in the southern end of the lake and criss crossing the line (in and out of violation) or 4 rods a person for those inclined to push the envelope. More tangles when you hang the big one. Adding slide divers into the mix it's a recipe for a big mess.

I know one very good angler who only fishes two rods and two downriggers (one rod each) with 2-3 people in the boat for 30+ years. He has taken more big salmon with this system than many of his peers.

Not for me. I will still fish two rods per license on Champlain (4 rods most of the time total). The old adage "less is more" for me applies on our home water for landlocks.