State of the Lake Mtg. -

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

State of the Lake Mtg. -

Post by ChessieMan »

Attended the "State of the Lake" meeting Saturday at Whalonsburg Grange - moderately well attended, nice venue. NYSDEC, VTF&G and USFWS representatives were presentors.

Of note (to me)

* Lake Trout - Bernie Pientka - the LT population is healthy, an increasing % of total population is represented by "Natural reproduction" fish (27% of total fish sampled) - non-fin clipped.
Noteables 1. Burlington trawl results had 80+% natural fish.
Total lake, median length - 27". Based on increasing % of natural lakers, stocking was reduced, if trend continues, further reductions in stocking may/will result.

* Salmon - Laurie Easley - there wasn't a lot of data on salmon, more a focus on stock returns hatcheries which were mixed. The fishery is stable, neither improving or declining. Natural reproduction continues to be limited due to thiamine deficiency (result of alewife consumption).
Note: 1. NTSDEC is reviving the Co-Operative Angle program - this time it will be via a web-based app - looks to be simpler and more user friendly compared to the old book method - more details below

Sea Lamprey - Brad Yong - treatment of tributaries in the 3 zones continues - 1 - New York above Split Rock 2 - VT above Splits Rock 3. Split Rock south both sides on a 3-year cycle. Concern that an on the Boquet, "upstream" population has been identified. There was some discussion on perception that "lamprey hits" are up - could be because there is more fishing activity this spring and/or congregation of fish (Whalon's) and lampreys in same area. Also, please note recently posted pictures on <2" lampreys on fish are not lampries - they are leeches - minimum size of predatory lamprey is 6"

Creel/Angler Diary - Nicole Balk Laurie Earley - as mentioned above, this effort is being relaunched as a web-based app - you will be able to enter all the pertinent info real time from your cell land the app will log your position (NO!, the position data will not be accessible) - as soon as I get a link that works, I'll post it here

Invasives - Meg Modley - AIS (Aquatic Invasive Species) are and will continue to be an issue on LC - the fleas (spiny & fish0-hook) are here to stay and there is no way to get rid of them, water chestnut continues to spread and require more hand-harvesting efforts. But of primary concern is the round goby - it is at Lock 1 on the Champlain Canal and heading north - there are proposals being reviewed by NYS Canals and DEC but no real plan in place except for regulated lock troughs with "double flushing" and reduced lock-throughs as the goby progresses upriver - one proposal for a permanent barrier with boat lift proposed by Army Corps of Eng, is being considered as wells as a electric grid as is being used in Chicago to keep the carp out of the Great Lakes. This issue with teh goby when it does reach LC is that it will out compete native fish for food - it breeds 4x's/yr., it eats fish eggs; bass, salmon, trout,..., carries VHS and avian botulism - and the BIG once it's here, we can't get rid of it.

The 2nd half of the presentation was on Muskies, bass and walleye and I'll be honest, I didn't pay much attention - I do remember that the VT muskie program is focused on stocking in rivers and the fish are the Chataqua strain received from NYSDEC.

A video of this conference will be posted on YouTube, but it will take several months to get it on-line.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: State of the Lake Mtg. -

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Ed for sharing the info about the meeting.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Thanks for posting the information about the meeting.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Thanks for posting this! Nice summary. Look forward to the You Tube video in a few months. We have seen a ton of lamprey in Whalon's this year! Yet up in the Sea nothing just talon marks on a few fish from the Osprey. I was told that the closest treatments by Brad was north Bouquet and to the southeast Lewis creek in Hawkins bay. They are opportunistic and will prey on where the salmon are concentrated. So the tiny brook that empties there by the road isn't a targeted treatment site he said.