Rainy Day Salmon 7/2

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Rainy Day Salmon 7/2

Post by Dilly Worm »

I took the rowboat out Sunday for a rainy day of solo trolling. Surprised to see not a single trailer or vehicle at Ft Cassin at 8 AM, and hardly saw any other boats in 6 hours on the water around Town Farm Bay.

Didn't get off to the best start when the portable Lowrance sonar wouldn't turn on (it's fixed now, but not repairable in the rain and without the right tools). But in this day and age we can always rely on our cell phones for everything, so I went to plan B and used Navionics on the smartphone to navigate w/ the depth contours and avoided going too shallow - didn't snag a single lure on the lakebottom, so that was a success in itself :D

Went 5/5 with 2 lakers followed by 3 salmon which makes for a very good day of coldwater fishing by rowboat standards. I'd started trolling 2 lines of leadcore with 8 colors each based on the FishHawk TD finding 55 degrees 40 ft down, but fish #1 was a 9 lb laker so I went to 4 and 6 colors to target salmon. Another laker, maybe 5 lbs, came on 4 colors, then 15 minutes later the first salmon hit the moment the inline planer board was attached - took a minute to figure out why the board went under water right after it was clipped on the line ! The next salmon make a few huge leaps but stayed hooked. So far all fish came on a CI Split Rock while various lures on the other line did nothing. Finally I put on a CI SMG since the fish clearly preferred gold/copper Crazy Ivans, and a few minutes later salmon #3 was in the boat.

After 13 miles of rowing and a bit of reeling in, hands were starting to cramp trying to unhook the last fish, so it was time to head back and call it a good day. A couple soggy photos:

2.5 and 3-lb salmons
2.5 and 3-lb salmons
20230702_132632.jpg (159.3 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Salmon #3
Salmon #3
20230702_131604_S3.jpg (120.68 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Re: Rainy Day Salmon 7/2

Post by Dead lake »

Outstanding didn’t really need all the downriggers, and gadgets
Mistress
Species: cold water

Post by Mistress »

You are a MACHINE!! Between the rain and rowing you more than earned your catch😎
Perwil3
Species: Bass and trout

Post by Perwil3 »

That’s a great day of fishing! Out in the rain in a rowboat brings back lots of memories
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

That''s just gotta be fun.
Very cool and a couple of nice silvers!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Your post kind of reminds me of Fishy1. Low tech + perseverance with good results.

Way to go!

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Amazing effort and results. Just think of all the gas you saved!! Thanks for the looks…
Matt B
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Nicely done!
________
Mike
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

Well done! Old school fun.
campskylandvt.com
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

thanks for the nice replies, guys.

There's nothing like the solitude of a rainy day on the water under your own power. At least its a good workout on those days of getting skunked... but when the peace and quiet is interrupted by the clicker on the drag buzzing, its a great bonus.

Happy 4th of July everyone !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report.
Rowing 13 miles is a full workout on a kayak, specially on a rainy day.
You got rewarded with some nice catches.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Crazy that you could fish leadcore all day without MAJOR flea issues! Seems they’re becoming a real problem lately and leadcore is brutal when they are in thick.
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Bearcat wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:33 pm Crazy that you could fish leadcore all day without MAJOR flea issues! Seems they’re becoming a real problem lately and leadcore is brutal when they are in thick.
I use the Sufix 27 lb performance leadcore. Fleas were noticeable but didn't make reeling in impossible.

When I was in the other boat and using downriggers earlier last month, reeling in was not even possible without cutting them off. Am putting on the 40-lb mono for the riggers, but leadcore seems to work fine until the fish get too deep to reach with it in August...
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Dilly Worm wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:28 am
Bearcat wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:33 pm Crazy that you could fish leadcore all day without MAJOR flea issues! Seems they’re becoming a real problem lately and leadcore is brutal when they are in thick.
I use the Sufix 27 lb performance leadcore. Fleas were noticeable but didn't make reeling in impossible.

When I was in the other boat and using downriggers earlier last month, reeling in was not even possible without cutting them off. Am putting on the 40-lb mono for the riggers, but leadcore seems to work fine until the fish get too deep to reach with it in August...
I've used lead core on riggers before. It's quite stealthy as the line sinks below the ball. Loop a rubber band around the lead core and attach your release to the rubber band. Voila! give it a try...
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry