Video how to take a sample for the USFW (studies)

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Video how to take a sample for the USFW (studies)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Made this today:

Email contact for sample envelopes from Kurt:

Kurt_Heim@FWS.gov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKm1UyVzdE
Mistress
Species: cold water

Re: Video how to take a sample for the USFW (studies)

Post by Mistress »

Thanks again for the info Ron! Kurt from USFW did get right back to me after I emailed and mailed me approx. 24 sample envelopes. I managed to get 4 samples yesterday which I dropped off to him today on my way through Essex Jct. Hopefully we all can help improve our fish stocks by doing our part.
On a side note one of the fish I sampled and released I caught on my rigger cable. It seems someone was running cheaters and forgot to close the snap on the swivel, fish hit it and got away only to get caught again. If anybody is lost a bright green needlefish with black stripes and dots near the Sandbar you now know the outcome and the 17" very healthy salmon is there to be caught again. I got video and pics, not too computer savvy so can't post(or at least until I can find a twelve year old to help me) Some things you can't make up!
Pat
digitroll (ron)

Great news Pat! Some of my fishing buddies also have joined the cause! Thanks for participating!
Mistress

Post by Mistress »

IMG_5497.png
IMG_5497.png (495.14 KiB) Viewed 583 times
I found a 12 year old to show me how to post the pic of the salmon I caught on my rigger cable that got snagged on the swivel snap from someones cheater. You can see it in the upper right side.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

That's amazing ! what are the odds that a fish swimming around dragging a loose cheater will snag it on your downrigger cable ??? I wonder if it was attracted to your flashers if you had any on ?

could you tell it was on or did you just discover the fish when you pulled up your rigger ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Mistress

Post by Mistress »

I noticed my cable was running at a longer angle than normal and knew I was dragging something but couldn’t tell by rod tips because it was choppy (2’). When I went to clear the rod it wouldn’t release because the swivel from the cheater was wrapped in the release. I was not running attractors and was on my 3rd pass through a massive bait ball, think the fish was trying to feed and was at the right place at the right time. Definitely one in million chance!
digitroll (ron)

Wonderful to see the participation with the DNA collection samples. I know Crazy Ivan had a ton of samples this past weekend in the Rotary derby. Great data to help our fishery! Down south the no clip fish are in big numbers as fat 18"-20" as two year olds. The RV Ed Weed clipped fish have been a bit scarcer up north and averaging a thin 17" as two year olds. Interesting comparison between the Federal no clip fish from Bethel and our State RV clipped fish. I am not sure about the fish they have been catching from Willsboro / Port Douglas / Valcour.
digitroll (ron)

Mistress report over near Valcour had 13 LV and 3 RV. I haven't seen any LV this year. Great thanks Pat!