Re: Fish Hawk

Post by steve »

So true
very good point of view....
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I usually never buy anything new, but, I did buy a new x4d a few years ago. One thing I will say about those guys, is they have some pretty awesome support. I had some trouble with my unit, but they made it right.

The plastic on my transducer was very brittle, and it broke. Not sure if they had bad run, or what. Called them, they sent me a new one. Then the bluetooth portion of my head unit didn't work. They sent me a new head unit. (By the way, I have never used the bluetooth, since the day i tested the new unit, and it worked.) Just a few weeks ago I called about a new battery pack, since my wires broke off. Very cheap and weak component by the way, that thing needs some help. But, again, they sent me a new one.

This was all pretty much no questions asked, because they had my name and address from when I bought it new. They even remembered who I was on the phone with months and months between calls.

It's a great tool, but, like every other tool out there I have tried so far John, it is not a magic bullet. Maybe I'm not using it right, or maybe I fish my same water so often, I don't notice much of a difference in my catch rate. On a new body of water however, I bet me fishing with one vs without one however may be a different story. I also only troll from about November to the middle of June, and the water temperatures are not as crazy for the cold water species as they are from July-October. Those warm months we can be found on the other boat chasing other kinds of fish.

I know it sucks, but, the Buy Once, Cry Once is a real thing. When it comes to tools, weather its actual tools, or fishing tools, I have never regretted buying a quality version of something.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Great words of wisdom........
And your issues make me even more nervous about buying new. Having that kind of support with no questions asked can go a long way. Your post reinforces my decision to buy new. I appreciate all your help with my garmin and telling me to register that. I still have a lot to learn about that tool........lol Looks like I will be crying that one time soon.......ha
This forum has been a wealth of information and I really appreciate how open everyone is....
I must admit I am jealous of those like Ron that have a heated large open workshop to store and work on their sweet boat. Not really a reality where I am now but if there is a move in the future..............that will happen !
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

guy on lou just listed one for 600 bucks,im in no way recommending you buy it as i dont personally know the guy,just figured id let ya know.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Thanks for the heads up !
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

That.........didnt take long......sold. Appreciate your help !
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

nope,sold in about 4 hours
rfern77
Species: Bass/lake trout

Post by rfern77 »

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these. Can’t find them less than 1k so that tells me they’re what everyone says they are!!
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Haha......I am in the same club......(boat) :lol: :lol:
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

2 year old complete fish hawk setup for sale on lou for 500 bucks.its under fishing equipment for sale bye mr.mo55
rfern77
Species: Bass/lake trout

Post by rfern77 »

Of course there is because I just bought a new one. Oh well, it’s sold now anyways. Knew it would not last long anyways at that price. But thanks for the heads up!