Save a Turkey. Eat a Salmon.

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Save a Turkey. Eat a Salmon.

Post by Dilly Worm »

MY 11-yo daughter AKA Basscatcher joined me for a mission this morning to put salmon on the table for Thanksgiving. After a slow start, we found success.

We'd barely gotten lines in when she caught a laker. A few minutes later I lost a small salmon near the boat. Our friends on the Country Angler reported a few salmon and a laker before they had to head to land to meet family. Then it got sunny and clear and the bite faded away. For some reason we decided to start a "death troll" across to the NY side of the lake and right in the middle of the lake a downrigger released - nobody home - then the other one, and a 15-inch salmon was in the boat. A little while after we got to the NY side, thin high the clouds slid in and the bite turned on.

Best part of the trip was when we had doubles, her fish jumped all over the place, tried to tangle the line in the prop and then hide under the boat, but she maneuvered it into netting range and a nice 20-inch salmon was in the boat, then she netted a smaller salmon that I had been reeling in.

We ended the trip 7/9 on salmon plus the laker, all fish in the 15 to 20 inch range. C.I. Fat Buzzy was the most productive lure, followed by C.I. Hot Hooker. After the first few fish came on these lures we changed most of the others to gold-backed C.I.'s and picked up some of the other fish on a Gold Bomb Pop and a Purple Brown Trout. Her biggest salmon took a speedy shiner used as a sliding cheater. Fish were caught on 4 or 5 colors of lead or downriggers 35 to 45 feet down.

This has been a great month for salmon fishing, hope it keeps up. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on LCU !
Attachments
20-inch-salmon.jpg
20-inch-salmon.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 605 times
another-salmon.jpg
another-salmon.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 605 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Save a Turkey. Eat a Salmon.

Post by Reelax »

Way to go Dilly!!! Love the pics;)

Wait till all the big boys come out of the tributaries to play… we’re gonna have a great winter trolling season:)
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

The smiles say it all.
Thanks for sharing
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I said it on our "Vergennes Outdoor Club" Group Chat already, but, I'll say it again here. Way to go! What beautiful fish. It's pretty crazy we can catch these fish 10 minutes drive out our back doors.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack