Jigging lakers near Burlington

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
pnutbutter
Species: Trout

Jigging lakers near Burlington

Post by pnutbutter »

After a lot of trying I finally caught a lake trout. This was along the drop off in Burlington bay. Surface water temperature was 70 degrees, sky was clear.

I took a few passes trolling with lead core, marked fish on the bottom and none suspended, then went back to those bottom fish I'd marked and jigged for them. Used the lesson I learned in a previous outing to give the fish a lure they can chase through the water column, not just bouncing on the bottom. It was really exciting watching the trout chase the lure on the fish finder.

I didn't mark a ton of fish out there, just a few.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Re: Jigging lakers near Burlington

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

If you want to catch and release them when jigging on the bottom, make sure that you bring them up slowly. If you bring them up slowly, they will release air on the way up to adjust to the change in water pressure. Then, they will swim back down fine. If you bring them up too fast and try to release them, they will belly up and die.
FishPole Thinking
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great to hear you got #1. Now the rest will come much easier, and your probably hooked better than the laker you caught!!!

Fish on…
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Congrats on the first laker !

this can be addictive...

what kind of boat were you in ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

pnutbutter wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:43 pm After a lot of trying I finally caught a lake trout. This was along the drop off in Burlington bay. Surface water temperature was 70 degrees, sky was clear.
Congrats on your first lake trout. It's always the hardiest to catch. Now that you are addicted, it will be more fun everytime.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
pnutbutter
Species: Trout

Post by pnutbutter »

Dilly Worm, I was in a big kayak.