Converse

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Converse

Post by striper192001 »

Have been working on my boat all spring in between work and trips away. Finally got new equipment installed and met my buddy at Converse just before 7 am yesterday. Wind coming out of south we set up right outside of bay. Four to five touches on the new screen and graph/chartplotter was all set up leaving tracks and all................nice for the less than intelligent like me......lol. We had trouble finding bait that wasn't on the bottom. We trolled by Garden Island up to Thompson's and then back and over to Cedar Beach where we started to get fish. Sausage gravy, Red Canoe ? was working as copper orange speedy shiner. Half the fish came on a slider. Only two riggers so we were stacking them with sliders on the down lines. Running 26-30 down with most luck over 130 fow. Went 8 for 8 with one 20 inch salmon that took a ride home.
Felt like a good day as all equipment worked well.

I get a vibration out of my outboard when it is just in gear and going as slow as it can. It is a 2012 Mercury Verado 150 hp fourstroke. Seems to go away when I power up. Any ideas from the group? Feel free to PM, thanks much.

John
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Re: Converse

Post by Wdrnr »

Could be your RPMs a touch too low when at your lowest trolling speed. Had similar problems w Evinrude etec a bump of 25 rpm smoothed things out.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

With the troll control computer system I can drop my rpm’s all the way down to 550rpm. I know my 90hp 4 stroke merc vibrates a little between 550 and 570rms and it totally smooths out at 580 rpm’s. Always been like that and figure It would take at-least 580 to balance the motor’s intertia fully…

Just my 2 cents…

Matt
Matt B
Fishmedic
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishmedic »

Check your prop hub. My 90 Merc did same thing at idle. These hubs are made to wear and after time become loose and motor will vibrate.
To fish or not to fish ??
What a Dumb question !!!
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Post by Dead lake »

Get a nice quiet 9.9 four stroke, it then will be smooth with no problems,big motors are not made for trolling, 2 1/2 mph and under is tough with a big motor.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

I have had a 9.9 before and am happy I can do this with one motor. There seems to be a little slop in the prop hub, I just don't know how much is acceptable. Interesting Matt that your 90 does the same thing so maybe it is rpm based. I am interested in the troll control system. My analog rpm gauge shows about ~500 rpm so I wonder what it would do for it??
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

I’m thinking your on the low side rpm wise. Get up another 50-100 . You might need a trolling bag to run in the 2.2 -2.4 sweet spot.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

4 cylinder engines don't like to go below idle at 550 rpms. It's the harmonics of a 4 cylinder vs. a 6 cylinder. It's called engine whip for the 4 at 550 rpms. Produces a vibration. I have trolled with one engine for 15 years. 115 hp 4 stroke in 2006 and 150 hp in 2013-2019. Both 4 cylinder engines. Like Wdrnr said just keep it around 650-700 with a trolling bag and your fine! Might be the prop hub assembly though causing the issue. Are you running a stainless or a aluminum prop? I have heard of this issue at slow speeds. A hub change would correct it. I run a stock aluminum prop.

When I upgraded to a 200 Mercury for the 2020 season I was thrilled the engine whip was gone at 550 as it was smooth. I still like to run at 650-700 rpm's with a bag though. I have 3,000 hours trolling with one main engine in 15 years. I could never go back to a kicker. Never had an issue with ethanol fuel or any of the 3 engines in 15 years. It's a personal choice.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Post by Big Bear »

100% agree about not going back to a kicker. Given the expense and time to set up, trolling bag is far simpler. I usually only need to run 1 bag. Yeah more wear on the main engine, but if I put so many hours on it that it needs to be replaced in 20yrs then I’ll be a happy guy :)