sunset to winooski river 5/14

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

sunset to winooski river 5/14

Post by Big Bear »

Tried my luck setting up at sunset and going south towards the winooski from about 2pm until 6pm. Had big board planar with 3 colors leadcore, flatline with 3.5 colors leadcore and 2 downriggers at 15’ and 18’. Fished 25-120’ FOW. Picked up a bunch of lakers 3-7lbs in all those depths, mostly 40-60’. Was trying for salmon and kept mostly to that depth and 2.5mph, only caught 1 small frye. Lead core off the planar was where it was at then leadcore flatline then rigger at 18’. White/brown seemed to do well so didn’t purple/silver. Nothing on copper red head or copper bikini. Hope some salmon move up soon. Also water temp was crazy. It ranged 59 degrees surface temp by sunset to 53-54 degrees closer to the Winooski. I trolled same area this last Thursday with only 1 hit and water surface was much warmer, 63 degrees down to 58-59 degrees.
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Re: sunset to winooski river 5/14

Post by Skylander »

I fish Sunset and North to Providence fairly regular Spring and Fall with the occasional summer trip out there and it has been a couple years since I have found a silver in those waters. The lakers are common these days, but at least when catching them up high in the column there is still some fight in the catch! You can't beat the mixed bag that Hogback offers up though!
campskylandvt.com
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: sunset to winooski river 5/14

Post by Detritus »

I take care of a camp on Providence, and am out there quite regularly on a boat carrying tools and lawn care equipment instead of fishing gear. I have always wondered what the trolling would be like up there. Valcour as well. Nobody ever talks about it.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack