May 14 Rowboat Report

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

May 14 Rowboat Report

Post by Dilly Worm »

Got the old rowboat back on the lake for the first time in 2022. I heeded the warnings about cold water and wore the wetsuit like I usually do early in the season. Not too bad at 5:30 am but by mid morning with full sun and 80 F temps, there's nothing hotter and sweatier than a black, tight, foam rubber suit ! Luckily I had a lot of water to drink and avoided dehydration.

Water surface temp was about 59. I trolled a Shad Rap on an inline planer board and a CI Gold Bomb Pop on lead-core. The shad rap caught a solid 4-lb laker and the other line took a small laker with 2 colors of lead in the water. Seeing a lot of big marks on the sonar about 30 ft down in 60 FOW, I went to 5 colors of lead and picked up a 2-lb salmon with a small lamprey stuck to it. I'm sure there were more and bigger salmon there, but after circling around a few times with no more hits, I was getting hot and tired and headed back to the boat ramp.

I saw Heartbeat and a few other boats on the way back. Great day to be out on the lake !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: May 14 Rowboat Report

Post by Detritus »

Wetsuit in 80 degrees, wow! Its kind of like pick your danger, hypothermia or heat stroke. But, in the face of that, you still chose fishing.

Good choice.

How were you running the shad rap off of the inline planer? Leadcore? Or just letting the shad rap run it's 8 feet down or whatever?
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Nice! We need to meet up this year and go fishing!
________
Mike
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Detritus wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm Wetsuit in 80 degrees, wow! Its kind of like pick your danger, hypothermia or heat stroke. But, in the face of that, you still chose fishing.

Good choice.

How were you running the shad rap off of the inline planer? Leadcore? Or just letting the shad rap run it's 8 feet down or whatever?
Yeah, one way or another I was going out. Figured overheating was less risky than hypothermia.

The shad rap was on segmented lead, with 1 color leadcore off the planer board. I trolled as shallow as 15 ft and never dragged bottom with it, so I reckon it was doing about 5 ft with the lead and 9 or less ft with the lure's swim depth. Not really sure how those things work in combination though.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Dilly Worm

Post by Dilly Worm »

Cas wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:21 pm Nice! We need to meet up this year and go fishing!
Definitely ! You're welcome to hop in my other boat any time, no wetsuit required !