Westport Area Reports

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dwayne
Species: Browns

Re: Westport Area Reports

Post by Dwayne »

Fished the cow bank this morning caught 1 smallmouth, 18 yellow perch and 4 tinker salmon at 72 down no bling.
Chazycuda
Species: Salmon, trout

Post by Chazycuda »

I’ll be leaving chazy heading to IS through the gut targeting 6-6:30 am till 3ish will troll south to keelers and cedar island area I’m in 24’ Avalon tritoon Black and Tan with 16’ flag on the stern.
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

Fished IS on Monday as planned targeting 70 - 120 fow dr at dr at 50’ - 70’ and a line 9 colors of leadcore with split back rebels was quit first hour or so switched dr over to live (2” sunfish) on dr and put dipsy diver on 2nd rig with 3”spoons got a good hard hit on dr lost it something took the bait, reset dr and the top on salvage island heavy hit in 113’ fow dr at 50’ at reeling in it hit the surface 20’ from the boat nice fat silver it ran 2 times taking drag and hook came out before getting to boat … was upset but pumped, continue trolling down to cedar isl and turned around trolled back caught 8 pesky pearch and had few other unknown hits.
Soooo Close but no cigar…
I’m planning on goin out IS again this weekend - good luck out there.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

At least you got some exciting hits. Thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Bill g
Species: Trout

Post by Bill g »

HOW WERE THE FLEAS
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

I was using 30 lbs mono. on dr and 40lbs mono in dipsy diver along with 25lbs lead core had no problems with fleas, some areas had to contend with the weeds. I’ll be back in a week or so, I picked up a 2nd dr clip so will try my luck double stacking.
Last time out I basically trolled south stayed close to the islands turned around at cedar and returned the same side, would you suggest I do the same or make sure to Hit keelers bay and or on the way back head up the mainland side?
Thanks and good luck out there.
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

I’m back for the next week or so and was going to try IS 1 or 2 days Thursday thru Monday was wondering if the silvers have still been active and or Any thoughts on my trolling route? Anyway I’ve heard they are catching them around Valcour island and wanted to ask weather I should focus on IS or try down there?

Suggestions welcome and Good luck out there!
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

Im planning on going to IS tomorrow targeting 6:30am and plan on following shoreline south 70-120’ fow with dr at 50’ -70’ go down around cedar into keelers bay. I only have surface water temp gage so not sure where 55degrees will be. Would this be a good strategy or should I try a different area?
Question do you guys ride around at a higher speed looking for bait clouds with marking under before you drop the lines in? / if so how fast do you go?

Im looking at a fish hawk TD that reads deep temp at 5’ intervals for like $159 anyone have any experience with this? one downfall is can’t replace batteries.

Thanks for and Good luck out there!

Chuck(chazycuda)
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I wouldn't bother with Keeler's right now. It's not deep enough. I haven't been out lately, but I'm guessing temps will be down 60' or so. I like fishing either the South Hero side between Cedar and South Hero or on the Georgia shore side all the way from in front of Sandbar beach to Burton Island. Just find the depth where you are marking fish and stay at least that deep.

I don't have a regular Fishhawk, but I have a Fishhawk TD. I love it. I send it down every time I get on the water to see where I should start with my setup. I usually catch more salmon above the 52deg mark than I do below it, though, so make sure to cover a variety of depths with your spread.

You can also use the TD to check the running depth of rigs like Dipsey's, Slide Divers or leadcore. It can be really handy for that. If checking lead, just make sure the lure on the end is big enough to stop the TD from sliding right off the end! I almost lost mine with that mistake. It came back in the boat just caught by the hook on the spoon!

Good luck!
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

I enter IS thru the GUT so I’ll drop in head across to Burton isl and try the Georgia shoreside down to sandbar beach, hoping to land my first LC silver keeper. I’m using live bait double stacked on downrigger and copper mooselook wabbler on leadcore

Thanks for the info Crayfish it’s appreciated!

Good luck out there!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Imho this time of year you would be better off staying on broad lake and heading to willsborogh area for salmon this time of year...

Just my 2 cents... good luck and let us know how you make out...
Matt B
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

Reelax,
Seas a little too much to travel that far south today by boat but thanks for the tip
Chazycuda

Post by Chazycuda »

I went to IS as planned was choppy but gave I a couple hours stayed on the upper end and stayed parallel with the waves and went back and fourth 50-120 fow Saw some bait and marking’s but only got white and yellow perch. Headed home and trolled for Lakers till mid isl Lemotte and couple more perch and couple smallys I’ll be back up this for the next next 2 weekends and welcome any suggestions? Willsboro is a bit of a haul by boat but if that is where silvers are hitting then I’ll give it a try.
Thanks and good luck everyone