pontoon boat and trolling for lqkers and salmon

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

pontoon boat and trolling for lqkers and salmon

Post by fishy1 »

6/29/2020 my friends have a brand new pontoon boat and they want me to set up it up for lake trolling. we have ordered a cannon lake troller rigger and some a marine rod holders. hope to be out this friday. its a sweetwater pontoon boat so if you see us out there wave. going to be good to get back out there. i cant climb or lift and the pontoon boat is ideal . i have a copper rod and a couple of lead core rods. i really dont care for the copper rod its work but might not have any choice this time of year. would appreciate any imput on the best way to get down to fish this time of year with limited gear. the pontoon boat is limited for riggers and rod holders.
sonny88
Species: salmon

Re: pontoon boat and trolling for lqkers and salmon

Post by sonny88 »

There used to be a pontoon boat that fished Shelburne Bay a lot and the had numerous riggers off the back. I think they had them on some kind of plate. I would think a way to mount riggers and rod holders off the back could be found on google.....you can find anything there! Good luck!
Hawkeye50
Species: Salmon

Post by Hawkeye50 »

You could rig a couple of slide diver set-ups that will get you down and away from the boat.Need stout rod holders,especially if you use the rings to get more depth.
sonny88
Species: salmon

Post by sonny88 »

I love the way the site tries to help people out, please keep it up!
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Fishy, I would think a 10 core would get you deep enough if you could find cold water. Could always add drop weights to the core to get deeper. Have never done that myself but there must be a u tube video. Good luck out there, Matt
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

this pontoon boat is a luxerous one not a fishing pontoon boat limited for only one rigger and maybe to rod holders on side plus one in back. going to be a challenge the cannon lake troller rigger will be here tommorrow. would like to get boat set up for at least 2 rods for now.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Slide divers are your friend. A 4 rod spread with 1 rigger 2 slide divers and a lead core down the shoot would be a great pontoon spread...

50lb power pro for line and a stout pole
Like Hawkeye said and you will hammer the cold fish down to 60ft....

Let me know if you need help
Finding
Them or setting em up!!

Good luck Matt
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Matty,

Cannon once made a specific mount for a down rigger base for pontoons boats for the square rails.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... igger+base

Running lead off OR-19 Offshore inline boards that will get the lure away much further than Slide Divers is another option up to 10 colors. I like to run 5 and 7 colors off boards for browns and steelhead all summer here. Something I learned from Mark Romanack (Fishing 411) fishing for those jumbo rainbows and walleyes out in Michigan on inland lakes every summer in ultra clear water. Look forward to our annual visit there every year. We can run 3 rods a person there so we set up a 5 and 7 color on each side of the boat on inline boards OR-19's to go with 2 riggers for our program. Video I made last week with my new GO PRO 8 Black camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5oGwDnGSs
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

We used to cold water fish off of my pontoon (Detritus) before we got the Country Angler. Still have it, but, haven't done any cold water fishing off of it since we got the new boat. Now it's our warm water boat.

But, what we used to do, was riggers on each rear corner, leadcore rods straight off the back, and dipseys set to go sideways off of each side. The other thing you can do is leadcore off of each side, running inline planer boards. We caught a lot of fish doing that, and not a real big majority off of the riggers. In fact, we just brought the neighbor kid out Friday, and he reeled in his personal best laker, 10 lbs. Our boat record too. 2 and a half colors of lead, inline planer board, 2 colors sideways. Purple spoon, pink dots, silver back.

One rigger was just bolted to the raised back deck, and the other I made a pedestal that I bolted to the floor and railing. In nice weather, there is no better boat to troll on if you can get your speed down enough. Course I'm running a 1994 two stroke Yamaha, it's not as advanced as all the new stuff. I absolutely love that Yamaha though. You get your hand near the key and it starts. Idles all day, never fouls plugs.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Found a couple pictures, you can kind of see what we were up to.
IMAG0394.jpg
IMAG0394.jpg (112.01 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
IMAG0393.jpg
IMAG0393.jpg (109.2 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »