A Smile from the North

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

A Smile from the North

Post by DreamWeaver »

Glad to read that some are managing to enjoy the big lake (LC). Reading some of the recent posts from new comers and support from the regulars brings a smile to my face. :)

I am not counting on enjoying the lake this summer as our boarder remains closed and Transport Canada has just issued a guide to boating in face of COVID-19.

* If you are going out on the water :
** Only take people from your immediate household with you on your boat.
X No family members who don't live in your home with you.
X No boating buddies.
X No other guests.
Guide_TC_EN.jpg
Guide_TC_EN.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
In these circumstances I am lucky, my wife is my fishing and boating buddie.
However I feel for the others, not sure what will happen with our fishing trips.

Bent rods and tights lines
Paul
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: A Smile from the North

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I feel your pain Paul. We all want to go back to Champlain and fish with friends, but this situation is beyond our control.
Stay safe and keep hoping for the best.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I personally don't get the strict ban on fishing the lake from daytripping distance. Living in vergennes, I see out of state plates every day driving either north, or south. New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York (though new yorkers could be commuters who just work here anyway). You can't tell me all of these cars every day are heading straight to their quarantine house with a load of groceries to sit for 14 days straight.

I can understand the households not mixing, we haven't socialized with family, or anybody else since the end of February. But, to drive 2 hours straight to the boat launch, have a nice mental and emotional health day out on the lake burning gas money and time, then 2 hours straight back home, what's the harm?

Reminds me a little bit of when the government makes more and more laws to stop people from doing bad things, but, the only thing that changes is law abiding people have more restrictions on them. The ones who are the problem people aren't affected.

I sure wish some of you guys who fall into the daytripping distance category could be out there doing what you all love to do.

I hope this doesn't have too negative a tone on here, I'm just frustrated that good guys like you have to dutifully sit on the sideline while new cars from 300 miles away with college stickers on their back windows drive through my town every day.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great discussion to have. It’s all a calculated risk, weighed with passion for the pull, and hope for the future.... I think I pushed the envelope a little Tuesday hopefully no one will pay for it....

Bottom line is We should welcome the discussion, because we need to have it...

Thanks for posting Paul and Gerry, and Jack.... I value your opinions as well as all fisherman. No hurt feelings here..anyone should please feel free to chime in.....

Fish on!
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Matt, did you just call me a fisherman? Because coming from you, that means something to me, haha

Sounds like my boys want to do some cold water this afternoon and a cookout, and river fishing Saturday on Detritus. Still have yet to recognise any LCU guys while out on the water.

Jack
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Looks like the borders will still be closed at least until June 21st.
We love all the fishing reports, as they keep us informed and remind us of the good time previously spend on that beautiful lake.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

Enjoyed reading your responses. I retired Nov 2019, and will plenty of time to fish once we get over mother nature's wrath. I the meantime I smile and look forward to lake Champlain in some unknown future. Most importantly is we stay healthy to enjoy the beautiful lake. I agree with you Gerry, it looks like the border will remained closed to at least June 21st.

I have always appreciated the experience regulars here, who share their knowledge of the lake, especially when you see youth involved. :)
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I know one captain charter that is more then happy to see the border close. I suspect that is him that push our gov. to shut down the border.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:I know one captain charter that is more then happy to see the border close. I suspect that is him that push our gov. to shut down the border.
:lol: :lol:
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Detritus wrote:I personally don't get the strict ban on fishing the lake from daytripping distance. Living in vergennes, I see out of state plates every day driving either north, or south. New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York (though new yorkers could be commuters who just work here anyway). You can't tell me all of these cars every day are heading straight to their quarantine house with a load of groceries to sit for 14 days straight.

I can understand the households not mixing, we haven't socialized with family, or anybody else since the end of February. But, to drive 2 hours straight to the boat launch, have a nice mental and emotional health day out on the lake burning gas money and time, then 2 hours straight back home, what's the harm?

Reminds me a little bit of when the government makes more and more laws to stop people from doing bad things, but, the only thing that changes is law abiding people have more restrictions on them. The ones who are the problem people aren't affected.

I sure wish some of you guys who fall into the daytripping distance category could be out there doing what you all love to do.

I hope this doesn't have too negative a tone on here, I'm just frustrated that good guys like you have to dutifully sit on the sideline while new cars from 300 miles away with college stickers on their back windows drive through my town every day.

Jack
I know your feelings of all the out of state plates I played the game all through April missing some of my favorite spring fishing over in Vermont but after watching a variety of roaming plates in the local boat launch here in NY I loaded the boat and crowded the bridge common sense should prevail at some point. Plan ahead have plenty of gas an food and don’t stop any place is what I’m doing unless the fish contract it I don’t see where launching a boat and fishing is hurting anything. Just my opinion
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

adkhare im with you makes no sense at all while i was in florida we were allow to go fishing and keep from socializing though and that all fisherman did. everyone kept there distance in other words. i get back to new you new york in self quarantine for 14 days i cant even go fishing solo or leave the property? who am i going to spread virus to if i had it the fish? im still irritated by this as with my health conditions i need to stay active. fish on