First fish boated of 2020

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

First fish boated of 2020

Post by Detritus »

So we launched out of converse, fished town farm and the mouth of otter creek, looking for a little warm water today. Had a fish on after a couple hours, about 7 feet down, 100 back on a medium sized maroon and dark purple spoon with eyes stuck on it. Exciting time there, " are we hung up?" Drag clicking like we were, wicked bend in the rod. Liam grabs it no, it's a fish! Lost it on the way in though. Never got to see it, but he thought it was a laker.

We went up to split rock next to hide from the wind, and troll the shoreline, and we found the other boat we saw heading out ahead of us in the morning. Tried calling whoever it was on 68, but no answer. Could be our radio doesn't work.

A bit down our shoreline, I checked a line, and pulled in three of our lures, all at once. Started on that tangle, Brody was piloting, and of course, Liam jumps up yelling "the flag is down!" Haha, and starts reeling in our north planer board line.
IMAG0837.jpg
IMAG0837.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Caught on a little yozuri stick bait, blue and silver minnow. About 40 feet back, 40 feet out, 1 color of lead. Probably 20 feet of flouro leader. First fish in new boat, first fish of the year, first fish on the inline planer board, all at once. About 30 feet of water, 1.8 mph, water temp, 33.6ish. Hooked into fish about 10 and 11 am.

Liam took this one
Liam took this one
IMAG0835.jpg (82.99 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
q

Boat ran good again once started, still working on that issue. Be nice to be able to start the boat in under 10 minutes for a change. But great day on the water.

Jack
Attachments
Working the lines out back
Working the lines out back
IMAG0839.jpg (100.92 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
digitroll (ron)

Re: First fish boated of 2020

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Saw you guys off Split this am. Radio was on 68 but didn't hear you. We fished 7:30 am to noon with two bites finished 2/2 on salmon. It was a slow morning but couldn't beat the nice day with air temps at 37F at 7:00 am and 47F at noon. The new (2020) 200 Mercury was amazing! Shakedown was 100% with the equipment. Good to see the kids enjoying the water!

Imagephoto upload site
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Huh, I'll have to test that radio. Like all of our other stuff, it's old enough to rent a car. You've got a 200 on that thing? Must fly. Yeah, can't beat the day on the water. Even with the gray skies.

Jack
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report and pics Jack... those kids are gonna have a great summer on your new ride!!!

Glad to hear all is going good and In March to boot.. we have at least 3 months of great salmon action before they go deep and become a bigger challenge..

Fish on!
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Detritus wrote:Huh, I'll have to test that radio. Like all of our other stuff, it's old enough to rent a car. You've got a 200 on that thing? Must fly. Yeah, can't beat the day on the water. Even with the gray skies.
It was a perfect day in March to be on the water! The Merc flies! Actually I did hear a little talk on the radio but I didn't have it turned up enough. Your radio is probably fine.

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

You've got a nice fishing boat. It will generate great memories for years. Congrats on your first catch of the year.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I don't know if your radio has this feature, but mine won't transmit if you're using dual scan (16 and 68).
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

No, not this one. You'd laugh if you saw it. I think it might be even older than the boat. Digitroll said he heard someone talking but had the volume down. Had to be us, we were the only two boats out that I saw that day. The new radio on detritus has tri scan, and also displays GPS coordinates on the screen taken from my 2011 humminbird fish finder. They've come a long way, but I do miss the standard horizon I had on one of my old boats. That thing had an awesome built in speaker.

Jack