HATCHERY BROOK in the news again

Share info on fishing Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

HATCHERY BROOK in the news again

Post by popster »

Isn't it about time VTFG got serious about restricting fishing in the Hatchery Brook area?
A section of the Winooski River is closed to angling from March 16-May 31 to protect spawning Walleye. I'm wondering why the Commissioner and the Dept would not back a similar regulation for fall spawning Salmon??

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/how ... -308452197
Bill
"POINTER"
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: HATCHERY BROOK in the news again

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

They should!
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Bill you and I were both at the same public hearing to discuss closing hatchery cove to fishing. There was overwhelming support to close it and even discussion of a handicapped area a little further north be open for folks with physical disabilities. Our wardens and our tax dollars have more important things to do than police this area. Unfortunately our commissioner Louis Porter is not in support of this measure . Send him an email
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I disagree. I think shore access to Lake Champlain should be increased, not further restricted.

Fishing in the cove has nothing to do with wading into the brook and scooping up fish with the net, as mentioned in the story.

I've heard it suggested that banning fishing in the cove would somehow make it easier to enforce the restriction on the brook. That sounds like authoritarianism. I don't think it's ok to restrict liberties of law-abiding citizens in order to make law enforcement easier.

There are only a handful of places where a person has a reasonable chance of catching a salmon from shore. I know because I try a lot. The salmon are stocked in the lake for ALL the anglers-- not just the ones who can afford a boat with all the gear and the truck to haul it. If you counted all the salmon caught by shore fishermen on Lake Champlain, I'd bet it's a tiny number. Smaller than, say, the number that died after catch-and-release by boaters.

As for the wardens having more important things to do... the article said that it's been slow for the wardens. And that's why they organized the "crackdown".
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

troutcrazy wrote:I disagree. I think shore access to Lake Champlain should be increased, not further restricted.

Fishing in the cove has nothing to do with wading into the brook and scooping up fish with the net, as mentioned in the story.

I've heard it suggested that banning fishing in the cove would somehow make it easier to enforce the restriction on the brook. That sounds like authoritarianism. I don't think it's ok to restrict liberties of law-abiding citizens in order to make law enforcement easier.

There are only a handful of places where a person has a reasonable chance of catching a salmon from shore. I know because I try a lot. The salmon are stocked in the lake for ALL the anglers-- not just the ones who can afford a boat with all the gear and the truck to haul it. If you counted all the salmon caught by shore fishermen on Lake Champlain, I'd bet it's a tiny number. Smaller than, say, the number that died after catch-and-release by boaters.

As for the wardens having more important things to do... the article said that it's been slow for the wardens. And that's why they organized the "crackdown".
I have corresponded with Louis Porter on this issue and he replied that as long as they are getting enough spawners, they are not going to take away any rights of shore fishermen. However, I believe there is plenty of movement to look into the issue again, and the fly fishermen should start policing their ranks too. I stood in the cove with a dedicated fly only guy, while he instructed me in the finer arts of flossing , like that was ok. Come on , this is nebulous fishing at its best.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

C-Hawk - A "dedicated fly only guy" wouldn't floss! It's not nebulous, but perhaps in the Cove its legal?
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

I agree with troutcrazy. I have not fished there at all this year. I have many times in the past. I have met some respectable people as well as blatant outlaws there. There are very few places one can actually fish for Landlock Salmon from shore. I think a surveillance camera would be sufficient without limiting access to the legal fisherman. We need more places to fish, not less.
Riddler
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

C-Hawk wrote:...as long as they are getting enough spawners, they are not going to take away any rights of shore fishermen. However, I believe there is plenty of movement to look into the issue again, and the fly fishermen should start policing their ranks too. I stood in the cove with a dedicated fly only guy, while he instructed me in the finer arts of flossing , like that was ok. Come on , this is nebulous fishing at its best.
If they're getting enough spawners, then what is the actual problem that we are trying to address? I mean what is the actual impact? Other than the fact that we find snagging and netting to be distasteful from an ethical perspective?

Every popular and well-known shore fishing spot gets it's share of outlaws and morons. I saw a guy trying to snag salmon on redds in the Winooski. A guy got busted keeping a musky on Otter Creek. Some guy brags about leaving a pike on the ice "for the eagles". You don't ban fishing to stop poaching.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

The snaggers are taking the cream of the crop. Who knows the actual take? There are many miles of rivers and streams that have a salmon run, but the numbers in the cove are higher than any other area of the Champlain basin; therefore easier to take a trophy fish. How about just make it catch and release?
bagman

Post by bagman »

Got to agree with C Hawk. C&R might be one good measure. Its interesting that Vt has gone to great measures to protect spawning salmon in the Clyde. C&R Sept1 to Oct 30th. NY side has regs on the Bouquet and Saranac in regards to no weight and specific areas. Hatchery cove nothing. No weight restrictions, treble hooks allowed. If Porter continues to support fishing there at least some sensible restrictions should be taken. These returning fish are the future of our fishery. Its been proven LC feral fish have a 2to1 survival rate compared to fish raised from hatchery brood stock. Lets give them the chances they deserve
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Bagman, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the growth rates are higher for feral fish as well.
bagman

Post by bagman »

C Hawk I can't give you an answer on that. Maybe someone else could chime in on that
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Good discussion here... I think setting up a webcam at the site and letting the world police it is a great idea....
Matt B
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

I don't play golf anymore but there is something to be said for calling penalties on yourself. Good luck to all!