Big Jon Mini Disc option

finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: Big Jon Mini Disc option

Post by finsntins »

they do work just like ron says,i ran one a couple times last weekend and the lakers liked them,but have caught many salmon on them as well.you can run them off the side of the boat just like a big dipsey or keep the weight centered and run them off big boards
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

If you've got a fish on, how much extra drag does the mini-diver create during the retrieve?
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Good add-on Jason. We ran a couple during the Shoot-Out off boards running straight back with no left or right direction adjustment.

They impart very little drag and are another option to running Lite Bites this time of year or long leads for lead off boards. I took my Lite Bites out of the boat till next June last week. They are a great lite action delivery system to run that are very simple to use.

They are a blast to watch a fish hit them. Gets the adrenalin going seeing one hammering away on the strike. Just like watching Kings hit in Ontario on the big dipsy's.
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

Do disc color make a difference?
digitroll (ron)

Nope. I do like the black and purple.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

tmcaul wrote:If you've got a fish on, how much extra drag does the mini-diver create during the retrieve?
You wont even notice the little diver when you have a fish on
Todd
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

1) Black and purple all the way (well its just my thing)
2) mini Disc, on furthest away from the boat setting 117' ....... (firm rule in my boat and the results tell the story) at 2.4 mph.... 13 to 15 feet down
3) next size up mini disc 91' ........(also a firm rule in my boat) at 2.4 mph 20 feet down
Todd
Todd
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

So all the mini discs I see on line are 30'ers, out 117' will run 13-15 feet?
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Thank you to all for the info. Started playing with them last year but haven't caught a fish using them yet. Will have to keep trying.
steve
Species: lakers,salmon,bass,pike,perch

Post by steve »

I've used the Big jon mini divers many times this spring and my best hits were 25 to 40 feet of line out.Right off the side of the boat, sometimes i could even see the flash of my lures.
digitroll (ron)

Short leads will work as well as Steve mentioned as there is no hard and fast rules. We just like the 100 feet back as a baseline to achieve 15 ft and 20 ft with the two sizes in the late Fall / Winter. I measured the depth at 100 feet several years ago with my Fish Hawk TD device as I use 50 lb Power Pro braid on my reels. Same line I use on my Lite Bites. It's a 12 lb diameter and very little stretch unlike mono and cuts the water nice achieving the depths I am looking for at 100 feet out. I like the properties of the braid for these dedicated Big Jon disc medium action rods. I keep 3 of these rods in the boat. 2 with the big disc and 1 with the small disc. I will start the day with one small and one large disc out to see which depth the fish like the lure. Lately the bigger disc has been on fire! It's all about experimentation.
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

I’ve looked online at bass pro, cabelas, fishusa, etc & only see 1 size Big Jon mini diver, the 1 3/4” one.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Go directly to big jon sports. They are on sale. Minis $5.99 deep diver $7.99.