Fall Fishing

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Fall Fishing

Post by the_doctor »

Haven't posted in a while...busy working and really couldn't catch a fish to save my life for a while there in August. Finally got out there today on a beautiful September afternoon.
I have my little dinky boat going now, a 12' aluminum I think. I replaced the transom and did some work on the leaky seams with JB Water Weld-- kind of a messy band-aid but no more leaks and it's fine for now. I christened her "Cecilia Ann" after an old song by the Surftones that was later covered by one of my favorite bands, Pixies. Big thanks to my neighbor and landlord Sam for letting me use this boat, not to mention renting to me out by the lake.

https://youtu.be/wbOpqIYIXTg
https://youtu.be/WOn_80y8Peg

I have a small trolling motor and also got a neat 3HP Evinrude two-stroke. It's a 1966 Yachtwin model that originally belonged to my grandfather, then my dad, and now me. I am lucky to still have them both in my life but they do not have much time to get on the water these days. I realized I did not have a picture of the Evinrude so I had to run out and take one in the dark just now!

It was a fun couple hours out there by myself. I tried a spot I hadn't before, which was a few hundred yards offshore but still shallow at less than 10' in most spots. The action began with my first pike since the spring, on a classic red and white Daredevil. No pic as he shook loose right at the boat, which is fine by me for those slimeballs! Next was a really nice smallmouth that took a dressed black and chartreuse Mepps Agilia spinner, which was recommended to me by Dustin at Dockside/Tackle Box.

I always bring my main bass rod, as well as my 5' light "jigging rod" that I use if I come across some good perch action. Today I wanted to keep the Daredevil on the bass rod so I put the Mepps on the perch rod. It was fun bringing in that smallie on that little rod!

After the bass I was feeling pretty good and had to head back, so I threw the Mepps behind the boat and started in. I had a good laugh when a little 4 inch perch took that same Mepps that the big bass had in its mouth just moments before!

Looks like some more great weather coming through so I hope to be back at it ASAP. I am feeling grateful and blessed to have good people and family to help me get this going on a low budget. Tight lines!
IMG_20190919_215333568.jpg
IMG_20190919_215333568.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
IMG_20190830_135021284.jpg
IMG_20190830_135021284.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
IMG_20190830_140231167_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190830_140231167_HDR.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
IMG_20190830_135556626.jpg
IMG_20190830_135556626.jpg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
IMG_20190919_165032930.jpg
IMG_20190919_165032930.jpg (110.66 KiB) Viewed 10270 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Fall Fishing

Post by Reelax »

Doc.
Love the stories.. the Evenrude pic is awesome, looks new.

Thanks for the update.
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Love that little Evinrude. With some TLC, they'll run forever.
It's not the size of the boat or the engine that matters, it's the nice memories we create when we use them when on the water.
Great story and pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

the_doctor wrote:I have my little dinky boat going now, a 12' aluminum I think. I replaced the transom and did some work on the leaky seams with JB Water Weld-- kind of a messy band-aid but no more leaks and it's fine for now. I christened her "Cecilia Ann" after an old song by the Surftones that was later covered by one of my favorite bands, Pixies.
I love the little boat and the name, great song by the Pixies that I probably have somewhere on an old cassette tape. Just seeing your post brought back some good memories !

good luck & tight lines !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
diamondsteel
Species: all

Post by diamondsteel »

Thanks for the post! Glad to hear September is heating up! I was out last night on the is. Caught a bunch of nice healthy smallies. 14-24' deep. The Ned rig is working again-it wasn't productive for me earlier in the season, but it is a great bait! No takers on the top water.

Hope you get out this weekend with the nice weather!
VTrookie
Species: all

Post by VTrookie »

great to hear! august was tough for catching i will try the 14-24 depth tomorrow in mallets bay.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Caught one decent little pike Monday 10/7 right after the rain, but no bass. The water is getting chilly at around 55 or so. My neighbor pulled out his dock which I was using, so this was probably my last trip on the aluminum boat for the season, though I may still get out in the canoe or kayaks.

Mr. Pike was pretty close to the shore, as were some small perch I'm sure he was after. The lure pictured has been excellent for pike this fall, according to some friends. They'd probably kill me for posting it here, but too bad: it's the white/chartreuse chatterbait! Pass the knowledge along, I say.

Maybe I will post here again this year, but I am inspired by Tamiron's thread to try for some salmon soon, too. And ice fishing is right around the corner, too! Cheers everyone! It was a fun year bass fishing.
pike10072019.jpg
pike10072019.jpg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 10049 times