Look at those #'s

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Look at those #'s

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

DEC Stocks Over 2.5 Million Salmon and Trout in Lake Ontario this Spring
DEC concluded spring salmon and trout stocking in Lake Ontario, placing approximately 1,004,187 Chinook salmon, 623,200 rainbow trout, 464,660 brown trout, 400,000 lake trout, 90,000 coho salmon, and 14,000 Atlantic salmon in the water to supply exceptional angling opportunities. Spring stocking 2019 included traditional shore stocking, as well as two specialized stocking methods: pen-rearing and offshore barge stocking.
Thanks to the continued dedication of volunteer anglers, over 558,000 Chinook salmon and 52,000 steelhead were raised in the pen-rearing program in 2019. These fish where held and cared for in net pens at the stocking location for a period of 21-days before being released to improve survival and enhance fall tributary returns of adult fish to the stocking site.
Despite high water levels, DEC hatchery staff were able to carry out almost all of their planned offshore barge stocking. They stocked all lake trout, as well as 144,000 brown trout in the eastern end of the lake (Stony Point to Fairhaven) using a military landing craft to carry the fish offshore to release them over deeper water and reduce predation by fish eating birds such as Double Crested Cormorants. They met all barge stocking targets, except for brown trout scheduled to be stocked at Mexico Point. These fish needed to be stocked out of Oswego due to high water levels. However, DEC shore stocked approximately 20,000 surplus brown trout in Mexico Bay.
Fishing in Lake Ontario has been outstanding in recent years, and DEC’s fish culture and stocking programs should ensure continued fishing success in the future. For more information about fisheries management in Lake Ontario, contact the Lake Ontario Fisheries Unit or visit the Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River research web page.
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Re: Look at those #'s

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Andre add to that Gov Cuomo has made free fishing on Lake Ontario thru Laborday for you Canadians and Vermonters no license needed but all other regs apply
So many Lures So little Time
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Free Fishing on Lake Ontario (including the Lower Niagara River) and St. Lawrence River

Governor Cuomo is giving New York residents and visitors an opportunity to cast a line this summer in some of the best fishing spots in the state - Lake Ontario (including the Lower Niagara River) and the St. Lawrence River - even if they don't have a fishing license. Through September 2, 2019, all anglers are able to fish the New York waters of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River without needing to purchase a state fishing license.

Lake Ontario is known as a haven for trophy trout and salmon fishing. In its 2019 rankings, and for the first time ever, Bassmaster Magazine named the St. Lawrence River the top bass fishing destination in the nation. While lake levels are expected to remain above average, recent history has proven that fishing in these waters will remain first-rate. There is great fishing to be had by anglers of all skill levels from shore or by boat. For those interested in a guided trip, many fishing charter companies and guides are available for hire.

During this time, all applicable state and federal laws and regulations regarding seasons, catch rates, and size limits still apply.

There are additional 2019 free fishing dates later in the season, including September 28, National Hunting and Fishing Day, and November 11, Veterans Day.

To learn more about fishing Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence and New York State fishing regulations, DEC's Guide to Great Lakes Fishing (PDF) contains valuable information about the area's waters and tips for increasing success. For more regional news, fishing reports and local information, visit the I Love NY website.

View large map of free fishing area (PDF)
So many Lures So little Time
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Impressive numbers Andre and the best fishing for salmon on the planet period! We are heading over with a crew of 4 on my buddies 24 ft Wellcraft hardtop in a few weeks. I have been fishing Lake O since 1980. :) Game On! My good friends from Michigan have been making that trip to Ontario the last 5 years. :)
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Agreed, Ron ... I'm heading over next Wednesday and will be fishing for a week on my buddies 25' Wellcraft. Can't wait!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow you guys have fun out there. thats alot of stocking to one of the best fisheries i ever fished.
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Headed out Tuesday night, chaos will be fishing out of salmon river, give me a hollar on 68 crayfish if you see us! Black and blue Starcraft
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Controlled chaos wrote:Headed out Tuesday night, chaos will be fishing out of salmon river, give me a hollar on 68 crayfish if you see us! Black and blue Starcraft

Good luck Brother, wish I could have joined you...... hammer em and take lots of pictures!!!!
Matt B
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

With the weather hitting Pulaski for the next few days, I have moved my trip to Friday-Friday, 8/30-9/6. Hoping for good weather and hungry fish!

Good luck, Controlled Chaos! Hope to see you on the water. I'll be in a white/blue Wellcraft 250 Sportsman with 3 on board for the weekend and then 2 of us the rest of the week. Are you launching each day or do you have a slip on the river?
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Looks like LCU will be representing on Lady O this weekend! We are heading out as well. Not sure of port yet, either Henderson or Mexico. Good luck everyone.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

good luck lcu members catch those giant kings.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Keith ... I would suggest going to Mexico. I haven't heard many great reports coming out of Henderson yet (unless you want to fish for lakers) and it's a long boat ride each day to get to the salmon grounds.

Good luck!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

i was out last weekend with Hard Knox out of Henderson. The fish were there, bite bite was tough. We did boat 2 mature Kings 1 27lb and the other around 22. Couple skippers, a nice walleye, a couple small browns and 2 lakers as well.
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Post by kman05446 »

Crayfish,
We are heading over on 9/7 - 9/14. Fishing out of the salmon river. I would be interested on how you do. Good luck and save a few for us.

Kevin
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Hi Kevin,

There were LOTS of fish in the lake last week! Hopefully they are still there. We fished anywhere from 100 to 160 FOW, depending on where the temp was on that day. Most fish were caught out of temp, though. Spent most of the week either straight in front of the river or off the South Dunes. Never made it very far south/west of the big river. Our biggest were 27 and 28lbs, with plenty of 20-25lbers, as well. We had a blast and only had 1 full day that we couldn't fish, plus a half day here and there for the various weather systems that came through.

Also caught a bonus 7lb walleye, 85' down over 150' on a big salmon spoon!

Good luck to you!!