Fishhook Flea infestation

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
bagman
Species: trout

Re: Fishhook Flea infestation

Post by bagman »

I fished outer converse today and the fleas were almost non existent. Very surprised compared to my last trip down there. 55 temp at 38 feet. Oh yeah the fish were biting
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

Is there any correlation to time of day where fleas start/end? Interesting topic and quite frankly has kept me off the water.
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

Fished outside MB cut today. Few fish charted but no fleas! Nothing caught.

Fished 10:30 to 1:30 with one other boat in area. Wish I had a story to tell like a few others!
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Didn't fish this weekend, how were the fleas?
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

Fished in the big bay south of Thomson Point on Saturday morning and there were very few fleas, the few I ran into were the smaller spiny water fleas. Caught a three lakers pretty much right of the bat and then the Coast Guard stopped me, had to pick up the lines, etc. and go through the routine. After that only caught one, before giving up to bass fish. I think the CG put the hex on me!
steve
Species: lakers,salmon,bass,pike,perch

Post by steve »

Fished out of converse bay today and had just a little amount that accumilated on my line but nothing to disturb my fishing.... Was a great day but too hot....
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

We launched at the Peru boat ramp Saturday morning, July 13, we made our way down to the north of Willsboro Bay, more precisely the north shore just after the pass between the mainland and Schuyler Island. Set lines at 30 and 60' over 75-105 FOW. No Fleas and managed 1 21" laker at 60'. Headed back north and fished in front of Ausable River, marked plenty of bait fish at 95-105' with predators close by. Once again no fleas.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Flea Update:

Bad again last Friday Vt side of Converse and towards the ozone. Today it was really bad off Providence to Colchester Reef. The braid and wire was really collecting gobs 10 minutes in the water. I switched our rods over to the Ontario 30 lb test after the first 45 minutes. The 30 lb was bad too. 40 lb? It was the worst I have ever seen it.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I'm jigging lakers until they're gone. Sunday was basically pulling lines one after the other, cutting the leader, sliding them off and re-tying. Not much opportunity to catch fish like that.

The iced down livewell ("recovery room") makes laker releases a lot more successful if you're not keeping them.

ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

It was pretty bad on the Broad Lake yesterday. I was alone so not much fun setting gear and constantly checking. Plus the fishing was horrible. Not going to waste my time and gasoline. Definitely something going on the last couple of years on the northern part of the Broad Lake. The most productive for me anyway this year has been the Inland Sea.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I fished around the Islands for a little while Saturday, but couldn't take it very long. The fleas were so thick, they would trip the releases after only 10 minutes or less. Between the poor fishing above Burlington, and these things, I am afraid our Lake has already seen it's Glory days.
ThreeBuoys

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Jeff, I reluctantly agree.
Besides, we are at the point on the North part of the Lake where the fishing starts dying off in August and September anyway. Probably pull my boat out soon. Only so much Bass and Pike fishing I can take. Not sure what the Inland is producing right now.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Fished solo this am 5 hours Split Rock. 20" Brown. 2 LT. Fleas super bad. Switched to Ontario gear made it manageable. Saw Tire Jockey early. Been out 4 trips in last two weeks. No legal salmon. Luckily Browns and Rainbows have helped the cause. Lost a really nice Brown last week at the net south of Split. Some really good marks off the Mansion but they had lock jaw. Edit: Both fish were released unharmed photos below.

Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThreeBuoys

Post by ThreeBuoys »

May have to head down that way. I have some 40LB Mono strung on Convector reels that probably would solve the flea issue. Not as much fun fighting the fish though. Can't have everything....
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Nice fish Ron! Very quiet in my area