Etiquette

Share info on fishing Champlain.
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Etiquette

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

I dont post here much. I feel the need to bring up the neverending topic of on the water etiquette. Are we all sniveling prepubescent children or grown experienced anglers and countrymen. The past week there have been many verbal attacks on several friends of mine. From captain on captain fueds, to captain on angler insults. I became a captain for the love of sharing the sport with people, for the comorodery and relationships among fellow fisherman. It's very sad to see captains attacking retired vets and common folk for being on there spots when they show up and the bloody deck captains trolling by us anchored to verbally attack and scold us catch and release guys on handling of fish as you butcher dozens of fish a day times multiple day trips and post endless pictures of all your kept fish. To follow us all day from spot to spot antagonizing us to the point we pull anchor and leave the area only for you to resurface of our port to continue your tirade with paying clients aboard. I am losing faith in most of you. Why cant we all work together and respect one another on the water. It's gotten to the point that I dont donate, participate or associate much anymore. Same reason I dont post here anymore. Have a good day.
Will nolan "swilly"
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Etiquette

Post by C-Hawk »

First off it is a big Lake. However, the humps and pimples we all love to fish aren't all that numerous. I have had many jiggers race over and set up 200 yards in front of me , right on the best part of the hump. Then on to the next in what would obviously be on my route. I am fine with this, but don't get mad if I don't change course much. If I pass within a hundred feet of a higher, so be it. After all , these humps wouldn't be on a Navioncs chart if it wasn't for years of trollers fishing this hard found spots.
will nolan (swilly)

My point exactly. It's the treating people shitty I'm talking about. I'm more then happy to share just stay out of my face.
Will nolan "swilly"
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Wow... I'm neither a charter captain nor an angler who has encountered this bad experience on Champlain ... but it's not a new saga. New captain being hazed by the locals, conflicting styles, or simply bad etiquette. As a fly angler seeking tuna and billfish, we've often had trollers cut our slick. Same with ignorant trollers putting down schools of tuna rather than working the edges cooperatively.
Some were sending a message as it was intentional, while others were merely naive. Communication usually goes a long way, but it must be mutual. I guess I've been lucky on Champlain, never had a similar issue. Our salmon fleet has always been cooperative, at least in my experience, but then again I don't target lakers in August. The inflamed language in this message suggests it has gotten bad, but maybe it's better resolved at the dock than on this public forum? As C-Hawk notes, its a big lake!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Seems someone feels violated. I doubt that the behavior is random... maybe adjusting tactics would help or giving respect may help them respond to you better. This forum really is for fishing and stories. NOT complaining. You would do much better to try talking to the people that you have made very mad. Generally blaming the whole fishing community is not going to help your cause. I suspect you have gotten these folks soo mad they will not stop, especially now that you have announced to them how much it bothers you.

Good luck Will
Matt B
will nolan (swilly)

Reelax, as you treated me brother? I fish alone and bother noone ever for any reason. It isnt me with the issues. Those who know me know this. Its same group of boys causing problems and harrasing good people. The post was geared more towards having respect for one another. Guess you missed that part. Rant over.
Will nolan "swilly"
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Study the boats around you. What are they going, riggers, speed, type of rods, how many? Direction they are heading how long before they com back, it’s all valuable calculations to help in ones success .. how many anchors do you see deployed? hopefully this helps... love to see all, plenty of room for all
And trying new techiques, but you’ll never see “chaos” anchored were I know trollers love ta troll... hopefully this helps, Chanel 68 marine radio , try talking to the boat in conflict if there’s a problem,
There’s always a solution..
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

`
Attachments
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (622.13 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry