fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

6/10/2019 hit the lake again this morning for lakers got there early 6 am hoping to find some early lakers near shore . water is warming up so the forage will soon be heading for cooler water. 12 cast a freight train hit on bottom and it shakes loose. then around 7:15 am just as i began to lift near shore a freight train hit busts water and on its way. then no more hit went home early as it was already 74 degrees.
fishy1

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

6/12/2019 hit the lake again this morning to see if the lakers were still chasing forage close to shore and they were. got there at 6:20 am and it didnt take long to land a nice laker . fished and hour and i was 2 for 3 nothing huge but hit like freight trains and fought me right to the net. i really wasnt expecting much as the water is warming up and dropping . depths is 15 foot to 25 fow water there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/13/2019 headed up north to do some scouting for the lci and left early and that was a mistake . at 5:40 am near the lake a deer jumped out of the trees and guard rail and right into the passenger side front end killing it at 40 mph. ugh. waited for the state police for an accident report and finally got fishing at 6:45 am . didnt really feel like fishing after that so i stayed a half hour and was 2 for 2 for lakers about 3 or 4 lbers.
OmeG3
Species: Walleye

Post by OmeG3 »

Sorry to hear that... bad way to start a fishing day. I was down in Westport yesterday around that time and it’s amazing the number of deer we saw between Plattsburgh and Exit 31.

Hope you get everything settled AOK
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Oh that is a rough start to the day. Sorry to hear it.

On the bright side, it's really impressive that you're still catching lakers from shore!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/22/2019 headed north for some shore fishing for lakers with josh for some much needed therapy. started casting at 7:30 am and i lost one laker near bottom. in about 1/2 hour i noticed some smelt following my lure and had one hit and lost it. then they were gone but soon after we had alewifes attacking our lures so we decided to just try and catch them for bait on my worm rods. it didnt take long josh caught 2 and on they went on the bottom. then i caught one on a krocodile then we ahd 3 rods on bottom with alewifes. on within 1/ 2 hour we had a good run and a drop as it stole the bait. then awhile later another run and it headed north and i kept setting the hook but got just slack in the line as the line was wrapped around rocks with the fish still on the end of the line . finally it let loose and so did the laker. ugh. then i had a bump on the ist rod but no taker left it there and got a big surprise when we were leaving that bump stole my alewife and it sat there for 2 hours with no bait. a big mistake on my part. anyhow it was fun trying to catch alewifes as lots of them hit but we couldnt hook them good with the big lures. i got to fish today and relax since my dr says no lifting no strenous things no climbing and just take it easy for now. ugh. josh made sure i did all of those things today as you will see in the pics.

Imagefallout 2 gorisImage
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You look quite relaxed there in the sun on the lakeshore Matt. Josh sounds like a outstanding fellow.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/5/2019 headed up north for some pheasant hunting late but plenty of hunters and they didnt get anything with dogs so i headed home and stopped and checked in with a freind here in port henry who fishes pan fish. was talking to him when i saw a couple of salmon bust water not to far out. went and grabbed my salmon/steelhead rod and put on a honeybee trout pattern casting lure . nothing for a half hour or so then i have a sharp hit and fish on i land about 20 inch salmon little tricky getting it in where i was. so i just shook him off. within the next hour had 4 hits and landed two more . again shook them off and released them all were dark salmon in other words spawners. i saw a couple that boiled and had large lampreys on them. had fun thats what its all about lake water is very low and we need rain. so much fun to catch. love this shore fishing and casting nothing like it.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

So true Matt, there really is nothing like casting and hooking into a nice fish from shore. It really is therapeutic. My father retired a few years ago so I asked him what he was going to do, he said "All the things I used to, back when I was in highschool". Mainly he goes and fills his limit of natives once a week thruout the season. As well as running a full trap line again (60-100 miles). I take a few days a year to walk the river banks I grew up on and theres just something about it that makes me smile. As well as typically bring my kids down every night thru the warmer seasons casting from shore while they slop down their icecream cones! Love reading your daily reports Matt and big hats off to you for beating that cancer, fingers crossed for you.
A White
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

fishy1 wrote:10/5/2019 ... when i saw a couple of salmon bust water not to far out. went and grabbed my salmon/steelhead rod and put on a honeybee trout pattern casting lure . nothing for a half hour or so then i have a sharp hit and fish on i land about 20 inch salmon little tricky getting it in where i was. so i just shook him off. within the next hour had 4 hits and landed two more . again shook them off and released them all were dark salmon in other words spawners. i saw a couple that boiled and had large lampreys on them. had fun thats what its all about lake water is very low and we need rain. so much fun to catch. love this shore fishing and casting nothing like it.
Fishy1:

Sounds like you have those 'Bees working early this year! Thanks for sharing./Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wow, salmon from shore already! That's exciting!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tamiron wrote:
fishy1 wrote:10/5/2019 ... when i saw a couple of salmon bust water not to far out. went and grabbed my salmon/steelhead rod and put on a honeybee trout pattern casting lure . nothing for a half hour or so then i have a sharp hit and fish on i land about 20 inch salmon little tricky getting it in where i was. so i just shook him off. within the next hour had 4 hits and landed two more . again shook them off and released them all were dark salmon in other words spawners. i saw a couple that boiled and had large lampreys on them. had fun thats what its all about lake water is very low and we need rain. so much fun to catch. love this shore fishing and casting nothing like it.
Fishy1:

Sounds like you have those 'Bees working early this year! Thanks for sharing./Jim
JIM: yes but its really not early this time of year till oct 15 th im normally fishing trout ponds but due to my leg and health condition im not able to head back into ponds yet at least alone. i always looked at the salmon and lakers as plentilfull all fall and i know they will be there. i love my peace back into trout ponds but its not possbile right now so ill being hitting the lake shore fishing lots earlier. hope for alayna to be testing her colors soon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/9/2019 after fishing a trout pond for 2 hours stopped at the lake before heading home saw a couple of fisherman talked to them and several salmon were busting water quite a distance out so i grabbed my rod and put on a blue streak 3/8 ounce krocodile to reach out farthur with my salmon/steelhead rod. didnt have much time but in 15 minutes had 2 nice hits but noone home. i was impressed how far some of the salmon were busting out of the water. fun to watch.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/12/2019 had company all morning and alayna had a fashion show so i decided to head north to see if the lakers are near shore yet. started fishing around 4 pm and on my 7th cast i have a good hit and fish on only its not a laker its a football brown i dont have much mobility with my leg and the net was in the suv so i tried my best to get it to me in a safe place i failed it shook loose ugh. so then i went up and grabbed my net and went back down and it wasnt long another hit and i land maybe a 21 inch laker. then a freind showed up after catfishing most of the day and he hooks into a laker . good job justin. we then both went home not bad fishing for a hour . Image
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/13/2019 headed north this morning for some frostbite shore fishing for lakers and salmon. wasnt going to fish long was just going to try and experiment with something i been working on but it didnt work i did have one hit though in a hour and a half. the lake was still and that might have been part of my problem since i was in their view a long ways out in the clear shallow water now. in the afternoon i took a alayna back up there to practice with a new secret weapon and it didnt dissapoint 7th cast a freight train hit near bottom and fish running south she held on for about 2 minutes and it shook loose ugh. no more hits let her fish for an hour and she wanted to go pheasant hunting before we headed home. no pheasants. got home took my brown trout out of fridge i caught in the river baked it and alayna and i ate the whole brown with green beans and we had bacon wrapped scallops for appetizer. yum yum.ImageImage