Rough!.!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Butcher
Species: cold water

Rough!.!

Post by Butcher »

Yuck!! Pea soup fog and 2-3 footers with a 4 footer every once in awhile....

Tough conditions. Ended up just fishing single lines on 2 riggers.

Tried Keiths spin and glow and damit now I’m hooked. Ridiculous amount of spoons I don’t need anymore....

Fished from 6-10. Went 11-13. One snake attached but came off in the net before I could grab it. Most others were very clean.

All fish came off bottom in 55-65 feet of water.

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Rough!.!

Post by Reelax »

Ugly conditions, awesome pics... thanks for another great read and story.... are you gonna fish the rotary next weekend????
Matt B
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Butcher wrote:Yuck!! Pea soup fog and 2-3 footers with a 4 footer every once in awhile....

Tough conditions. Ended up just fishing single lines on 2 riggers.

Tried Keiths spin and glow and damit now I’m hooked. Ridiculous amount of spoons I don’t need anymore....

Fished from 6-10. Went 11-13. One snake attached but came off in the net before I could grab it. Most others were very clean.

All fish came off bottom in 55-65 feet of water.

Glad that it worked for you! I always run a spoon on my second rigger 12-15ft behind the ball 10ft above the spin n glo. When a fish comes to the set but the spin n glo is too much the spoon will often get them. Usually a small UV stinger spoon.
Dead lake
Species: Lake trout

Post by Dead lake »

Is that spin n glow with dodger? Or straight?
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

I went out of MB in the morning (8-noon) with my sons and friends and charted a lot fish but no takers. Fish abnormally deep for this time of year. Surface water only 48 degrees. Tried some outer bay fishing (52 degree water) but winds picked up and went in.

Glad you had success. Boy do I need a fish on the end of a rod!
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

I went out of MB in the morning (8-noon) with my sons and friends and charted a lot fish but no takers. Fish abnormally deep for this time of year by Stave. Surface water only 48 degrees. Tried some outer bay fishing (52 degree water) but winds picked up and went in.

keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

pfu wrote:I went out of MB in the morning (8-noon) with my sons and friends and charted a lot fish but no takers. Fish abnormally deep for this time of year by Stave. Surface water only 48 degrees. Tried some outer bay fishing (52 degree water) but winds picked up and went in.

My best luck on lakers from mid May forward has always come deep. They move from that shallow water that they reside in at ice out toward the mid summer spots. We do really well fishing them suspended over deeper mid summer structure 15-25ft off bottom. There are still shallow fish, but it’s not worth the chase for lakers IMO. Salmon and walleye are a different story, but if you are just trying to rip lips and bend rods, find the 70ft structure breaks and set 2 riggers at 45 and 55, with mid summer slide diver setups or 4-6 color lead cores. Add sliding cheaters to the riggers for the higher water fish and the stray salmon. Trolling 2.0-2.1 will pick up lakers and salmon will hit the outside lines on the corners as the rods speed up.
Butcher

Post by Butcher »

Dead lake wrote:Is that spin n glow with dodger? Or straight?
I had it behind a big dodger.
Butcher

Post by Butcher »

Reelax wrote:Ugly conditions, awesome pics... thanks for another great read and story.... are you gonna fish the rotary next weekend????
thx. i will not be fixing in the derby next weekend. Good luck to all those that will be!!!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great job on those lakers. i also like the spin n glows for lakers but dotn like the pull afterwards on the big ones those hammerheads put lots of pressure on you. i guess im getting old the fight with those spin n glows is like pulling in a refrigerator. but they work and work very well for lakers.
Butcher

Post by Butcher »

fishy1 wrote:great job on those lakers. i also like the spin n glows for lakers but dotn like the pull afterwards on the big ones those hammerheads put lots of pressure on you. i guess im getting old the fight with those spin n glows is like pulling in a refrigerator. but they work and work very well for lakers.
Matt I think you are thinking of something different. The dodger gives a little pull, but nothing like a set of blades, or a dipsy diver, which i know some people like. I agree with you! I don't want to fight gear, only fish!

I did notice that the dodger seemed to make the fish surface quicker than a set up without. Not a bog fan of that as i hate when they roll on the surface 50 ft back and struggle to get them to the net. I am interested in how this will work with releasing fish as (if?!) the lake warms up.

When I fish blades i hook them to the ball and put a spoon about 3-5 feet behind it on plain line.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Butcher wrote:
fishy1 wrote:great job on those lakers. i also like the spin n glows for lakers but dotn like the pull afterwards on the big ones those hammerheads put lots of pressure on you. i guess im getting old the fight with those spin n glows is like pulling in a refrigerator. but they work and work very well for lakers.
Matt I think you are thinking of something different. The dodger gives a little pull, but nothing like a set of blades, or a dipsy diver, which i know some people like. I agree with you! I don't want to fight gear, only fish!

I did notice that the dodger seemed to make the fish surface quicker than a set up without. Not a bog fan of that as i hate when they roll on the surface 50 ft back and struggle to get them to the net. I am interested in how this will work with releasing fish as (if?!) the lake warms up.

When I fish blades i hook them to the ball and put a spoon about 3-5 feet behind it on plain line.
my gambler spin n glows are the laker tournament winner series on a ontario i bought 3 of them and they have the big hammer head blades attached to the spin n glows and wow hard to get big lakers up. i think keith also bought some.