Town Farm Bay - May 12

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Town Farm Bay - May 12

Post by tmcaul »

We picked up 4 salmon and 2 lakers in Town Farm Bay yesterday. One of the salmon was skinny but the other three were both longer and more muscular. The salmon bite shut down around 10:30. Both lakers were caught in fairly shallow water - no more than 35' down. Water temperature had dropped to 48 degrees after rain and wind on Friday. Some debris in water but manageable.

Launching at Converse requires waders and caution since the ramp and the first section of the dock, which is mostly submergered, are very slippery. And the weather forecast for the coming week isn't going to help any.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Town Farm Bay - May 12

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report Tom... appreciate the update...
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Careful Reelax... It's slippery!

Anyone seeing 3 or 4 year old fish in the Town Farm/Converse/Whallon's area. I don't like how this season is setting up. I know it's cold and we can presume a late start, but where are the older fish?
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report tom keep on fishing. see you on the water. you fishing the rotary.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Very good question, Scott and I share the same concern.

The more data we can supply to the Champlain Management team, the better, ie. Angler Diary.
Bill
"POINTER"
viper
Species: salmon stripers browns

Post by viper »

Maybe you should ask guy who put map on this site 4 years ago that didn’t help the salmon any now your seeing the results of that
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

It would certainly help if WE didn't kill any decent salmon that comes to the net.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It may take a year or two for this current crop to get bigger. Seems there was 2 years of missing smaller fish the last 2 years. Now were seeing that bubble of fewer larger fish. Good to see the smaller fish again though. Which makes me believe it's not the birds eating them.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:It may take a year or two for this current crop to get bigger. Seems there was 2 years of missing smaller fish the last 2 years. Now were seeing that bubble of fewer larger fish. Good to see the smaller fish again though. Which makes me believe it's not the birds eating them.
Fingers crossed I hope you are right. Perhaps past recognition that the birds are an issue and revised stocking strategies to avoid them will bear future fruit. I'm disappointed however if we left predominantly chasing 2 year class this year. Hopefully the rebounding lakers don't suffer now as lamprey seem to be increasing and there may be more angling pressure seeking "bigger" fish than 18-20" salmon. I'm hoping it's just a colder spring than usual that is compounding issues, and it will settle down eventually, but I know there are age gaps and fear bigger fish will be limited this year.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

viper wrote:Maybe you should ask guy who put map on this site 4 years ago that didn’t help the salmon any now your seeing the results of that
Not sure that the best way to break 7 years of lurking as a registered user is to attack other users? Also context would be helpful. This site is a treasure trove of info on how to fish the lake, and I have learned a lot of spots from posts here, but to blame this forum or its members for a lack of fish seems a stretch.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

this is a common problem among social media fishing sites all over. they call it spot burning.I made a comment several years ago about it by saying you can say what color and how deep and how fast and even what lures ,but you can't say exactly where. Not unless you want the area fished out in a few days.And its the truth!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I know that the Guy who posted that map, can still go there and out fish everyone else there combined. Don't think he ever worried.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

There are still trophys out there... we have dropped 2 big fish this year that would have weighed on the basin derby. It is now all about TIME ON WATER. They are there if you work to find em.... lots of 16”-19” fish to be had. But the big ones are now spread out and very rare... doesn’t mean we won’t break 12 lbs in 2019. Cause I think we will.... it will just take many many hrs to find her..... she is there......... I can smell her........
She has moved and new spots will produce
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

fishingmachine wrote:this is a common problem among social media fishing sites all over. they call it spot burning.I made a comment several years ago about it by saying you can say what color and how deep and how fast and even what lures ,but you can't say exactly where. Not unless you want the area fished out in a few days.And its the truth!

Frank you have a point and many others feel exactly the way you do. I have come to understand your position very well over the last few seasons.

The reason I now fish more than I hunt is because you can’t POST water....

I feel that fishing is about stories and sharing memories. To do that I automatically try to share as much as I can. I have learned that certain spots have been found through hard work and TIME ON WATER by great salmon hunters and those spots do require some respect. And they can be ruined with one post. So out of respect of some of my best friends I try not to post specific locations when they are “special”..

With that said I will try to give as much info as I can to help others Be successful cause that is what makes this site work...
And it is why I love to fish this lake....

It is sad that we have lost input from the multitude of seasoned fisherman we all learned from over the 2000-2010 years who never post because of this VERY reason...

Someday when they start posting reports again, you will read stories you wouldn’t believe... cause they are all still fishing and they are all still havin a hell of a time.. and they are all still reading this....
Matt B
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The reality is that what works one day may not work the next, and what works for one person may not work for someone else. I have described my laker setup on this board a few time, and posted my navionics maps. Those spots still produce with that lure, others I talk to dont seem to have the same success with that setup or the spots.
The reality is that the issue with big fish this year is that we had 2 bad year classes back to back, and that means that those 2 summers that sucked where we couldnt find the 16-20's consistently are now going to be 2 years where the 22-27's are hard to come by. Clearly last years stockies took as the 16's are out in force. if we can get another good stocking class this year, next summer will be like 2016 for numbers, and if they can keep it going 2021 will be a year of solid 6lb fish.
I do think that fishing pressure does have an impact especially when the stocks are low, but I don't think that a post 4 years ago about Bulwaga Bay is the reason we are not seeing large fish. Anyone with a brain could figure out that Bulwaga holds fish in the spring, its the warmest water on the lower end of the lake from ice out till the thermo sets. But I like most other fishermen can go there and catch 5 fish in a day and the OP of that thread will catch 5x that.