Planer board help?

Justin89
Species: Trout

Planer board help?

Post by Justin89 »

Hey guys....how far back behind the planer board and from the boat do you usually set?

Thanks again.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Planer board help?

Post by Crayfish »

I usually run the planer board out 80' or so, but this depends on boat traffic. Then for spring fishing with small sticks/spoons, I run the lure back 100' or so. If 2 people are in the boat, I'll have 1 release a couple feet up from the board and then the other maybe 1/2 way out to keep a some space between the lines and well out from the boat.

Good luck!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I have really grown to like inline boards the last few trips. Offshores seems to work great, they keep up when going fast, and dont stall when going slow (which my otter boats do) I can set them quicker (no fighting to get the line to go down to the board and have found that if i fish the deeper lines closer to the boat I can send out my shallow lines past the deep ones without resetting anything if the far line fires. I can never get the releases right on big boards, either too tight or too loose. For setbacks, I have been doing 50-100ft on flat lines/split shot lines, and 1-2 colors of lead with 20ft of mono, and 10 ft of flouro. I usually run one line 30 out from the boat, and the other 60, but if there is little traffic I will experiment to cover more water.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Personally, I can't imagine running inline boards when I have the option to run big boards. I had to run inlines on my little boat, and they work fine. But big boards are much easier to use and you get to fight the fish without fighting the board at the same time.

The key thing is that all of the lines on one board have to be set exactly the same. That way if the outside line fires, you just move the others down the line and the outer one will become the inner one. You can run different things on the other board, so you could have a shallow side and a deep side, for instance.

I see some good sized boats running in-lines, though, so it's all personal preference.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

It’s all about time to set for me. I can get an in-line out of the boat start to finish in like 3 minutes, but the big boards the releases never go down the line for me and I end up spending 10 minutes getting it to just go 10ft from the boat, and then they don’t release when they are hit. Agree that when they work as designed they are the best, but I can’t seem to get them to work haha.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

With practice you can set the outside lines without releasing the inside. It looks scary and will bite you till you figure it out. As far as slack in the boards, It can be your best friend when they try and catch up. Good luck, Matt
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

In the spring running small stickbaits 80' to 100'. If say fishing walleye with crankbaits I will be targeting a certin depth and look up the lure dive info on the Precision Trolling Data app and set to reach that depth. Good luck. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

keithm87 wrote:It’s all about time to set for me. I can get an in-line out of the boat start to finish in like 3 minutes, but the big boards the releases never go down the line for me and I end up spending 10 minutes getting it to just go 10ft from the boat, and then they don’t release when they are hit. Agree that when they work as designed they are the best, but I can’t seem to get them to work haha.
Hey Keith I have suffered from this also. I have a slipline attached to the planer line like you do on a downrigger to pull the ball/release in close. Once i've got the release on and its ready to go, simply tugging gently on that line gets the planer line to bounce and it moves the release down the line. I'll get it halfway or so, then set the next line. After that, I can get them both(or 3) to move down the line together. Seems to work. I see your points about inlines too though.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker