Bulwagga Bay

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Heartbeat
Species: Salmon

Bulwagga Bay

Post by Heartbeat »

I arrived at Port Henry launch this morning at 6:30. Fishing by 7:00.
The first silver came at 7:15 on a lead core one color purple stick bait.
One more silver off the planner boards 100 ft back.
Second loop was the same as well as the third. We had our limit by 9:30.
Purple and green stick bait.
75 and 100 ft back on planner boards.
Water temperature was 40.2 degrees.
A lot of weeds in the water.
Fish on
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Re: Bulwagga Bay

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Thanks for report we will be up at n morning
So many Lures So little Time
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report.
It's almost time to get the boat unwrapped. Just a little more snow to melt.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome!
I put my kayak in around 9:00. I was glad to see 5 boats there, as it feels safer in the cold water.

I was flatlining a rainbow stick bait and a rainbow Krocodile. Netted two fish, and lost two. Strangely enough, all bites came on the Kroc. I did hook a small salmon in the tail with the stickbait, though! ZZZZZZZZZ! I thought I had a giant on the line, haha!

I kept the first fish I caught. I thought it was a funny-looking salmon until I put it on the filleting board at home. Brown trout! I'm thrilled.

I left at lunch time to check out some inland lakes for trout. Got distracted by crappies, instead.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:Awesome!
I put my kayak in around 9:00. I was glad to see 5 boats there, as it feels safer in the cold water.

I was flatlining a rainbow stick bait and a rainbow Krocodile. Netted two fish, and lost two. Strangely enough, all bites came on the Kroc. I did hook a small salmon in the tail with the stickbait, though! ZZZZZZZZZ! I thought I had a giant on the line, haha!

I kept the first fish I caught. I thought it was a funny-looking salmon until I put it on the filleting board at home. Brown trout! I'm thrilled.

I left at lunch time to check out some inland lakes for trout. Got distracted by crappies, instead.
way to go trout crazy your not going to beat those krocs or the casting bees down there . you can throw everything at them and the krocs will out fish them all especially the rainbow flat finish, couldnt make it down there but ill be there today. glad you got a brown to eat hope i get one today best eating of the trout and salmon family.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I made a loop around the bay solo after launching from the bridge at 7.45. I went up the bay along the RR tracks close to the rocks so not to interrupt the boat pattern that was all ready in progress. I was expecting to see Fishy at his Hot spot. I didn't see Troutcrazy in his Kayak either But i will be back soon. Thanks for reports Guys sounds like you did it wright.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:I made a loop around the bay solo after launching from the bridge at 7.45. I went up the bay along the RR tracks close to the rocks so not to interrupt the boat pattern that was all ready in progress. I was expecting to see Fishy at his Hot spot. I didn't see Troutcrazy in his Kayak either But i will be back soon. Thanks for reports Guys sounds like you did it wright.
don i was there from 8 am to 11:35 am landed 2 salmon and missed 2 no browns
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Fished today ended 3/3 all salmon about a dozen boats trolling bay
So many Lures So little Time
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

We headed down there today as well. Got to the bridge launch at around 7:15. Ran into issues immediately with starting issues. My batteries hate the cold for some reason. After a little effort and jumper cables we got it fired up and headed out. Arrived to the bay and there were a half dozen boats already trolling.

We joined the pack running 6 lines 4 in-line boards and 2 riggers. Mix of sticks and spoons spread from top to 15ish down. We trolled the first hour with no hits, and the crowd grew and there were at least 12-15 boats. As we headed north through the trench we got squeezed by traffic into the shallower water, one rigger hit bottom and as soon as it did it released, to my surprise when I grabbed the line there was a fish, but I missed it.
We kept switching out lures and finally got another hit this time on a planer running up top. A nice 20 inch salmon. We kept running the trench and picked away at them. We got my buddy his first Champlain landlock. We ended the day 5/8 all salmon. Sticks ruled the day with 4/8 hits and 4/5 landed. Depths were a mix, 3 landed on boards, 2 on flat 1 on 2 color lead, one fish on a cheater, and one on a rigger down 17.
We did have one unique thing happen. We landed a small salmon as as we netted it, the stick bait broke in half. It was 2/2 on the day at that point.
Attachments
39321B66-8019-4112-8A7F-8907BA794AD4.png
39321B66-8019-4112-8A7F-8907BA794AD4.png (444.79 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
EE6A1312-6A77-4C50-BB46-CBA35A1CDFA8.jpeg
EE6A1312-6A77-4C50-BB46-CBA35A1CDFA8.jpeg (260.49 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Thanks Keith.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Keith for the report.
12-15 boats in that little area, that's a lot.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Yeah it was a bit of a zoo, but everyone was being polite. Most of the traffic moved on by noon as the bite died down. One reminder to fellow fishermen, the launch under the bridge is an angled parking launch. When everyone parks forward angle at least 7-8 trailers and trucks fit there with no issue, probably more. When we arrived yesterday there was one truck that had parked length wise at the end of the lot, this limited the number of angled spots. with only 2 trucks angle parked I had to park at the top of the hill. There was plenty of space for me to angle park, but I would that would have created an issue for the guy who parked lengthwise getting out. Parking at a lot of our accesses is fairly limited, but if we all pay attention to the traffic and parking patterns we can increase launch efficiency and fit more trailers in a small area.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice report, Keith! What kind of lure was it that broke on you? I had a stick bait bust in half on me last year when the front hook caught the net as a pike was being netted. I thought the hook pulled, but it actually snapped the lure right in half.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Great reports! I fished Bulwagga this weekend also. We ended up 6 for 11 on Saturday. A 4-1/2 brown started the morning followed by 5 salmon. Sausage gravy milkshake and a pearl colored DB smelt were the hot lures for me. There was light traffic with only about 5 boats out on Saturday. I meet Surprise at the Port Henry boat launch when we pulled out. Great guy and very enthusiastic, even passionate about fishing.

I made the trip again Sunday because I can't fish next weekend. So I was trying to cram in as much time on the water as I could. It was busy and I saw a couple of you that posted on this thread, but didn't recognize you on the water. (I saw Keith with 4 in-line boards out and trout crazy in the kayak. We only managed 2 salmon on Sunday. I couldn't find the right combo. It was great to be on the water and see all the interest and hard core fishermen out there this early. Best of luck to all next weekend.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Greenhorn wrote:Great reports! I fished Bulwagga this weekend also. We ended up 6 for 11 on Saturday. A 4-1/2 brown started the morning followed by 5 salmon. Sausage gravy milkshake and a pearl colored DB smelt were the hot lures for me. There was light traffic with only about 5 boats out on Saturday. I meet Surprise at the Port Henry boat launch when we pulled out. Great guy and very enthusiastic, even passionate about fishing.

I made the trip again Sunday because I can't fish next weekend. So I was trying to cram in as much time on the water as I could. It was busy and I saw a couple of you that posted on this thread, but didn't recognize you on the water. (I saw Keith with 4 in-line boards out and trout crazy in the kayak. We only managed 2 salmon on Sunday. I couldn't find the right combo. It was great to be on the water and see all the interest and hard core fishermen out there this early. Best of luck to all next weekend.
what color is your boat and what brand? i think you were pretty close to me at one time sunday morning