Lake Ontario first reports trickling in.....

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Re: Lake Ontario first reports trickling in.....

Post by finsntins »

next weekend will be our first trip of the year!!!!!if the weather cooperates
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Awesome! Hope to be heading over a couple of times this spring.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I have been thinking of trying for Lake O browns for several years now. How long does the good brown trout fishing last? I have a 17 ft alumacraft with a wide beam. It has taken some pretty rough water on lake champlain, but I'm not sure if it is up to what Lake Ontario can dish out. What do you experienced Lake O fisherman think about putting a boat the size of mine on Lake O? Any thoughts or recommendations?
JabberJaws
Species: all

Post by JabberJaws »

I have seen lots of boats smaller than yours on lake O pay attention to the weather and you will be fine. Browns in the spring are almoast on shore so you do not have to run far. That being said lake O is big water and if you do not watch the weather you could be in bigger water than you ever wanted to be in. If you go good luck and have fun. Ramel
Quit Wishing Go Fishing
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for the info JabberJaws. I will do some research on spring browns and maybe pick a weekend that promises to have some good weather. There is no better teacher than experience (mixed with a health dose of caution). Keep the reports coming! It helps build up my courage.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Hi Greenhorn, NH Jim and I fish it in my 18' Lund. Can be a little scary if you get caught, best not to get caught. Good luck, Matt
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Hi Dry Net. Thanks! I know NH Jim. I will have to talk to him about fishing over there.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

brown trout fishing can be good all year long,like was stated above,this time of the year through end of may fish can be found from 5 to 30 fow.you will want a good assortment of spoons and sticks.planer boards are a must.for spring fishing,you wont need a fishhawk,as long as you have gps speed,but you will want one to find temp. near the bottom during the summer months.summer months the browns can be found close to the bottom where 55 to 65 degree water meet the bottom.you find that temp.and bait and you will find browns.pick your days wisely like was also stated above.oswego is a good port to fish out of if you are worried about fishing the big water or it gets to rough out there,you can troll inside the harbor and catch browns.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Listen to Jason, he turned us on to some excellent brown fishing last August. The lake was to rough to for us to fish kings and the browns saved the trip. Thanks again Jason! Matt
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

if you cant get out try shore fishing selkirk state park mexico bay 2 very good spots i have done very well there on shore using 3/4 ounce krocodiles. lots of fun.
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for all of the info guys!! With all of this new information, I'm getting excited about trying it in my boat. :D I do have a temperature probe and a GPS for speed. I will just need to check out the lake map to look for the areas with the right depths. The LCU forum comes through again! ;)