Salisbury Hatchery to close PETITION ADDED!!!!

Share info on fishing Champlain.
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Re: Salisbury Hatchery to close PETITION ADDED!!!!

Post by voyager »

I spoke about this with my local state rep, Pat Brennan, at the Colchester town meeting day vote. He told me that Gov. Scott had met with members of TU and the LC Walleye assn. The result was that license fess would be increased by $2 which would fund the hatchery and keep it open another four years. Apparently, they were quite surprised at the size of the negative reaction and response with petitions.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

This just shows how government will run roughshod over groups of people if we let them. Shows how out of touch Scott and our " buddy" Louis really are.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:This just shows how government will run roughshod over groups of people if we let them. Shows how out of touch Scott and our " buddy" Louis really are.
Very true, but this is good news and I'd be happy to pay more than a $2 increase to keep it operating.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

The power of the fishing community if it works together is amazing. This is great news... I’d gladly pay $20

Thanks to all who pushed this issue!!!!
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great news!!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Great news!
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Fantastic!
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I emailed Governor Scott today, asking about what the current plan/status is based on differing reports. His response is below:

Dear Mike:

Thank you for reaching out regarding the Salisbury Fish Culture Station (SAFCS).

Unfortunately, the Department of Fish and Wildlife’s fiscal position continues to be challenging. Increased costs from staff benefits, internal service charges, and revenue shortfalls meant the Department was faced with an estimated $450,000 gap in the FY20 budget.

Due to many factors, we continue to see a decrease in the number of fishing, hunting and combination licenses sold. In fact, license sales were down 7.6% in 2018 compared to the previous three-year average, and projections for license sales in future years have unfortunately been downgraded.

We addressed the shortfall through a mix of increased General Fund allocation and budget reductions. Most notably, the budget includes a 4.9% increase in the Department’s General Fund allocation and the decommissioning of the SAFCS.

The reasons for proposing the decommissioning of the SAFCS as opposed to another fish hatchery are two-fold. First, with only four full-time employees, it’s our most expensive hatchery in terms of dollars per-pound of the fish produced. Second, my team at the Agency of Natural Resources report the facility is in need of significant infrastructure upgrades – with an estimated cost of over $12 million.

However, after calling a meeting with over a dozen stakeholders, we are now collectively working on a temporary financial fix in order to continue operations at the SAFCS as we transition to a long-term solution. This will include addressing concern over the production of broodstock trout. My Administration is currently examining ways we can expand capacity at other hatcheries and spread out the production of broodstock trout to existing locations so we don’t rely on one facility to perform this important function.

I want to be clear: I fully recognize the vital importance our fish hatcheries play in our outdoor recreation economy. That’s why my Administration is fully committed to not only continuing the hard work at many of our fish hatcheries, but building on and expanding this work. It’s crucially important we increase the capacity of the other fish hatcheries around Vermont so all the eggs aren’t in one basket, so to speak.

Just one recent example of this is the reconstruction of the Roxbury Fish Hatchery severely damaged by Tropical Storm Irene. As a reminder, since it’s closure in 2011, we have been without the 75,000 trout they once produced—which is three times the capability of SAFCS. Once rebuilt, this hatchery will once again contribute to the 1.3 million fish per year we currently produce for recreational fishing. I’m proud of the many efforts we’ve undertaken to improve our fish hatcheries throughout the state, and my Administration will continue to support them.

If you have any further questions regarding the SAFCS, please don’t hesitate to contact the Department directly (802-828-1000) or my office (802-828-3333).

Again, thank you for reaching out.

Sincerely,

Philip B. Scott

Governor

PBS/hd
________
Mike
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Sounds like ass licking bullshit to me
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I do see this paragraph as a symbol of hope, at least:

However, after calling a meeting with over a dozen stakeholders, we are now collectively working on a temporary financial fix in order to continue operations at the SAFCS as we transition to a long-term solution. This will include addressing concern over the production of broodstock trout. My Administration is currently examining ways we can expand capacity at other hatcheries and spread out the production of broodstock trout to existing locations so we don’t rely on one facility to perform this important function.

They are looking for a way to keep it open until a permanent solution can be found. Of course this could just be political speech for saying "we tried but couldn't keep it open". I hope not, and hope they find a way to continue with it until alternatives are reached.
________
Mike
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Post by kman05446 »

Better keep our boots on. The BS is getting deep!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Before things get too deep, let me be a contrarian. Scott may be BAD, but before merely casting a NO vote, think too about the options. I've met Gov. Scott on several professional occasions and listened to his pitches and presentations while campaigning and since being elected. He's not the smartest tool in the shed, and I disagree with him on several important issues including fisheries management and gun control, but as a Republican professionally involved in land use and environmental matters, I fear that the alternatives could be worse. Its easy to vote REVOLT, but look too at the alternatives and consider the consequences. A mere suggestion that he may be the lesser of evils if we don't have any staunch allies .... I'll go back to the dog house now.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

And then there's this guy named David Aronson that has started a petition in favor of closing the hatchery.
https://www.change.org/p/vermont-govern ... -us%253Av5

Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

raz wrote:And then there's this guy named David Aronson that has started a petition in favor of closing the hatchery.
https://www.change.org/p/vermont-govern ... -us%253Av5
Fly fishing purists who only want to catch wild trout. Never mind that there are a lot of other people who fish VT lakes who just want to catch fish.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

This petition looks like a dangerous thing for all sportsmen to fear. Once the non-fishing public gets knowledge of this kind of thinking and the anti crowd gets on board, we'll be back to begging again. Sportsmen need to have one voice, if a few one minded groups go off on their own and we fight each other, someday there won't be anything left to fight over.